HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Problem Sighting In a New Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/73937-problem-sighting-new-rifle.html)

turkeyreaper 09-26-2004 06:10 PM

Problem Sighting In a New Rifle

I just bought a Kimber in a 270wsm with a Ziess Scope (3.5-10X44), I cant seem to get good groups (4"+ at 200 yards). I would hit high and the next shot I would hit low, I am allowing the barrel to cool every other shot but still no luck. I know its not me because I am shooting 1 inch groups at the same time with my 7mm mag Browning and 1-3/4" with my Browning 243wssm and I am using a vise. The only thing I can think of is my scope rings, they are the Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts, could it not have enough bite on the scope and it is moving with each shot? Any advise would help, I am going to Wyoming next month and I need to be confident that my shot will find it's target.

NUMBERFARMER 09-26-2004 06:36 PM

RE: Problem Sighting In a New Rifle

Do you have a different scope that you could try so that you might eliminate one variable?

zrexpilot 09-26-2004 07:36 PM

Try a different bullet. I had the same problem with my last new rifle, I was using winchester silver tip ballistics and it shot real bad, Put in federals and it tightened up big time, I shoot Hornady's now and have some pretty darned good grouping at 200 yds.

stubblejumper 09-26-2004 08:59 PM

How many loads have you tried?It is unrealistic to expect a gun to shoot accurately with every load.

turkeyreaper 09-26-2004 09:24 PM

All very good points, I will start with the ammo. I am currently shooting Winchester with a 140gr. molly coated accubond. If that doesnt work, off with the $600.00 Ziess and on with the $100.00 Tasco.

Thanks
Bill

zrexpilot 09-26-2004 09:28 PM

I am currently shooting Winchester with a 140gr. molly coated accubond.
Bingo ! I bet thats the problem, the ballistic tips are also molly coated and those wouldnt shoot well in my gun. Bet ya a beer thats what the problem is.

Virginia7 09-26-2004 09:51 PM

You're right, you have a problem. YOU WAITED TOO LONG TO GET A NEW RIFLE & SIGHT IT IN!
Well, can't get much better than a Kimber, and Ziess scopes are top notch. Chances are it's the ammo. Go get a box of another couple brands and bullet weights, and try
them out.
You didn't say what you were going hunting for - antelope, mule deer or elk?
Good luck - you're going to need it.

ps: Better yet, just take your Browning 7mm Mag.

turkeyreaper 09-27-2004 07:28 PM

You were right Zrexpilot, I shot some Federal Premiums (non molly coated) and I shot out the 10 ring out with 4 shots at 100 yards. I never thought that it would make that big of a diffrence. I will say this, Kimber has great customer service, they were ready to send me a pre-paid box to next day air my gun to them and have it back to me before I went to Wyoming for my Mule Deer hunt, Outstanding customer Service!:)

zrexpilot 09-27-2004 08:43 PM

glad to hear you got it worked out, you can keep trying different bullets and see the differences. I shoot a .243 and have found out that Hornady's ( 100 gr.) have the same ballistics as remington and winchesters 100 gr. but shoot flatter. My gun is sighted with the hornady's at 200 yds any other 100 gr bullet shoots about 2 1/2 inches low at 200 yds. the 100 gr. hornady's shoot as flat as 80 gr remingtons or winchesters but Hold a better pattern because they buck the wind better than the 80. gr. Try some hornady's I am a believer in them.