Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in question >

Sighting in question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in question

Old 09-26-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Sighting in question

I went shooting my slug gun today and at 50 yards i was about 2 or 2 1/2 inches to the left of the bullseye but at 75 and 100 yds i was dead on i dont understand why at 50 yds i was to the left butat 100 it was perfect.
Anybody have any idea on what would cause this?
THanks alot
Old 09-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in question

If you had the gun canted it could move POI . the way you hold the gun on sand bags can have a big POI change . Can you repeat it ?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, operator error.

You may see that you are further away from POI as distance increases. This means sights are off. If you see the opposite, it's something related to the shooter.

Perhaps you concentrated better at the longer range. I will bet the same trend won't repeat itself.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:01 AM

Thanks alot fellows it just didnt make any sense to me i am going shooting again this weekend well see what happens.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to come out and say it WASN'T you, it likely was, and it is INDEED harder to shoot at rather close ranges with a scope than at medium ranges like 100yrds if you're not experienced. (A little move looks like a LOT in a scope at 25yrds, while at 100yrds it doesn't look like you're moving much, so you relax more.)

IT COULD BE THE AMMO. If your bullet isn't stabilizing properly, you might be getting some sail early on, and it might stabilize and even out later. Check for keyholing at both ranges, that would pretty much decide if it's the ammo or not.

IT COULD BE THE WIND. You didn't mention if it was blowing stiffly when you shot the short group, or if it was calm when you shot the second.

Or, if you were shooting in a constant wind, and you were off to the left and the wind was blowing right, it might blow you back on target.

It's likely you, but it COULD be other things.

What were your group sizes?