Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 need all purpose Elk/muley western rifle--fast >

need all purpose Elk/muley western rifle--fast

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need all purpose Elk/muley western rifle--fast

Old 09-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default need all purpose Elk/muley western rifle--fast

Greetings everyone,
I moved out west recently and am going to start rifle hunting here in MT in about a month (originally from West Virginia). I have hunted for many moons--whitetai--and currently own a 6mm and .308. However, I need a longer range deal that can comfortably take muleys, elk, and perhaps one day even sheep or moose. A gun store here in helena currently has ruger m77 mark IIs on sale for $450 (retail according to them and ruger is $695) I can choose any caliber that they make (if they don't have it--they'll order it for the same price) so I'm thinkin 300wsm (currently my top choice), 7mm rem mag, 7mm wsm, 270?. The .308 that I currently own would probably work but it is my grandfather's ol' Winchester model 88 lever action that he left to me and I just can not seem to get it to group well at longer distances (300yds) and I have changed ammo, plus I would rather leave it in the gun rack except for special occasions b/c of the sentimental value. The sale ends sunday (tomorrow) at 4pm mst. Any ideas--sorry for the short notice--just made up my mind to go for it. Is ruger still as reputable as always? Should I jump at this price? What about the recoil of the 300wsm? if it is to much maybe I could get one of those limb-saver butt plates. any other ideas. I'm going to be researching online as much as possible (ballistic charts and such) THANKS FOR THE HELP
Old 09-18-2004, 09:23 PM

Default RE: need all purpose Elk/muley western rifle--fast

7 mag would probably be the best choice, you can find ammo anywhere. I would say if you really want a 300WSM and the thought of not having ammo that you can just pick up anywhere doesn't bother you, go for it.

Ammo concerns don't really factor in too much in my choices, Midway USA carries everything and can get you what you need in short order, if your local gun shop can't get it by the time you need it.

A little pre-planning and you'll always have ammo no matter what you shoot.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That doesn't seem like a bad price at all for a brand new Ruger!! I would jump on the deal, if I had the money. I would look at the 7mm Rm. Mag. It has been around a long time, and will take anything you mentioned with no problem. I am still not too keen on the WSM's yet, but that is my opinion. Go for it!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi guys,
thanks for your input so far. I have been on the federal ammo website and I highly recommend it to anyone deciding about a new caliber. on their balistics tables you could pick and chose any caliber with any or all of the loads that they make and compare velocity, energy, coefficient--I believe thats what wind drift is all about--not sure if I am right about that. and vertical drop. Anyway, according to what I saw the 7mm wsm looked like the winner--it had more energy and velocity at 100--500 yds with less drop and drift than the 300 mag or the 300wsm. the 7mm stw was a close second, and I compared using about 5 different loads and grains for each one--not sure but it looked good to me-- any further input would be welcome--I'll probably get down to the store about 2pm mst and will keep checking back. Thanks again

ps--I am so excited--I'm 34 and haven't bought a gun since I was probably 16.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

That is a great price for a ruger mkII. I would go with the 300wsm. It would be a great caliber and be able to handle bigger grained bullets,because out west your gonna need it. The 300wsm has 20 more fps then the 300winmag.I myself am thinking about getting a thompson encore in 45-70. Good luck with whatever you choose though.

....which part of wv were you from. I live in southwest va,lebanon-virginia, next to the border of wv.I have a lot of relatives from mcdowell county.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:26 AM

Price of $450 on a new Ruger 77 is a good one. As to cartridge, I'd go for a .270 Win., but you seem inclined to the magnums. In that case I'd go with the 7mm Remington
Mag. Fine cartridge for all around hunting on those wide open prairies, or in the timber.
Good luck.
BTW, whatever you choose, be sure to get some practice in at those longer ranges, and
in reading the breezes.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 7mm rem. mag. myself.But I would take the 7mm STW over the shorty's any day .I just don't trust them yet.I am probally like a lot of other "OLD FARTS " around here.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:22 AM

The gun price you mentioned seems very reasonable. The caliber is your choice and chance to fulfill a dream. Beware though that if you have been shooting a 308 and a 6mm that you will need to spend plenty of time getting used to the recoil of the guns you are considering. My Favorite reach out and touch someone rifle is the 7mm STW. It is only available in the #1 Ruger I believe. Just have a great time making your decision, but buy a few boxes of practice ammo and shoot that rifle before you take it hunting. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't you draw a rifle tag for the missouri breaks for Elk ? If so based on the bulls I have seen in that area there are some absolute monsters both antler and body size. You need something that really smacks them hard and at all angles. Except for the thickets along the river where they can hide most of the shots should be pretty long range.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

oldelk,
yes that was me that drew the tag as you have probably seen from some of my messages in other forums, That is the main reason that I decided on a new rifle purchase and b/c this is hopefully the first of many years of western hunting enjoyment.
30-06,
I am originally form the eastern panhandle of WV--a little town called Moorefield--kind of like Mayberry.
Thanks

Quick Reply: need all purpose Elk/muley western rifle--fast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.