Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Information on the 7mm ultra mag and 300 ultra mag >

Information on the 7mm ultra mag and 300 ultra mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Information on the 7mm ultra mag and 300 ultra mag

Old 09-18-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Information on the 7mm ultra mag and 300 ultra mag

I was thinking about purchasing a 7mm ultra mag or a 300 ultra mag and was wondering how both of these guns kick compared to other guns.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Information on the 7mm ultra mag and 300 ultra mag

They kick more than the 300 Win Mag and 7MM Rem Mag. Like all big casings they will kick more as bullet weight increases. If a guy wants the extra power then recoil is the price you pay. Trying one is the only way you will ever know how much they kick. Maybe you can find someone who has one you can try. Another thing to keep in mind is the cost of the ammo if you don't reload. Not many factory loads available for the 7MM Ultr. Only one I think. I know as for me it would not be worth the gain you get over the more standard Mags like the 300 Win Mag and 7MM Rem Mag. However thats a choice only you can make. You will gain a little range from the ultra mags but should a hunter push the envelope for super long range shots? Not when it comes to shooting at animals. IMO.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:30 PM

I have a 700SS in 300RUM and with the proper bench height sight in isn't too bad. The Limbsaver recoil pads they are fitting to the Ultra Mags are top knotch and absorb a lot of the recoil, plus the rifles themselves are fairly heavy.

I couldn't tell you that I shot the thing when I killed my buck last year other than my right ear rang a little bit.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2004, 08:31 AM

It depends on what other calibers you're comparing it to. I can't tell the difference in recoil between my 7 RUM and my buddies 7 REM. I believe the RUM uses a slower burning powder which could account for that. After shooting 270 for years at Texas whitetails and some Colorado mulies I moved up the to 7 RUM and haven't been bothered by recoil while shooting 1-1.5" groups with factory ammo.

I love my 7 RUM but if I were buying today I'd go with the 300 RUM due to the wider range of loadings available in factory ammo. The ballistics on the 300 are unbelieveable.

Next year I plan on buying a 300 RUM to add to my collection. I'm a real fan of the RUM family (not the short actions) and plan to add another (375 RUM) for my trip to Africa for plains game.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:11 AM

First off, I would go with the .300 RUM due to popularity over the 7mm RUM. More availibility of loads and components.

As for recoil, it is not for the recoil sensitive at all. You didn't say what you currently shoot but if you are very comfortable with 30-06 recoil then you should be able to handle the .300 RUM. The RUM will be quite stiffer than an '06. If an '06 is close to your threshold, then I would try before I bought.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:34 AM
bigcountry

I let my brother shoot my 300RUM this weekend. He decided it wasn't for him.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I let my brother shoot my 300RUM this weekend. He decided it wasn't for him.
Wuss
I have a 7 RUM with this on it:
Like Shultz says "I feel nothink" It's from [link]http://eabco.com[/link]
Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 AM

soonershooter:

You're not the guy at Red Castle with one of these brakes on an AR-15 are you? I've wanted one ever since I heard it. Turns a .223 from a sharp crack to a low boom.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:15 AM
bigcountry

Well, all I am saying is, its not for everybody. And if considering, its worth your while to try one before purchasing.

By the way, only Wuss's or people with shoulder problems shoots breaks, if you have to brake it, its too big for ya.

Quick Reply: Information on the 7mm ultra mag and 300 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.