Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Stainless Steel Barrels >

Stainless Steel Barrels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless Steel Barrels

Old 09-22-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Stainless Steel Barrels

I'm Thinking about going stainless on the next rifle I buy just wondering if their is anybody who has any imput on Advantages or Drawbacks to SS Barrels? Also can the be cleaned and what not the same as a normal Blued barrel?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Default RE: Stainless Steel Barrels

i have two rugers m-77 with ss barrels and i treat them the same as i do a blued one inside and out. i was told that one of the reasons of having a ss barrel was that they can take alittle more than a blued one.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:48 AM

I have a Ruger 77 in stainless. No difference in cleaning procedures and of course there is the advantage of being a little more resistant to bad weather. Look great too!!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:32 PM

I have had a couple rifles with stainless barrels. I prefer matte finished barrels because of the lack of reflecting qualities. Did not see any advantage to stainless, since I clean after each use and lube the bore anyway. Stainless seems to heat up faster and hold heat longer then did matte finished steel barrels.
The only advantage that I can see in having stainless is hunting in area, away from camp, where the rifle will be wet for days, with no chance to clean and lube same.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both blued and S/S barrels.I treat the S/S the same as the Blued.Cleaned and lubricated the same.My hunting guns are all S/S except for a Remington ADL with the matte blue finish.The S/S is allot more rust resistant,which I like for those rainy days afield.I'm not saying a S/S barrel or S/S gun for that matter doesn't need to be cared for.They are just more forgiving.I do like my Ruger M-77 "All Weather" rifles.Some worry about a glare from them. I've never had a problem with glare. Not any worse then a Glossy Blued rifle anyway.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

They should be treated exactly the same as CM if possible and they do hold up better to not rusting compared to CM but they still contain carbon and will rust. Now if its a 17-4 alloy that is pretty weatherproof as well as erosion proof but that would be in high end custom barrels and the HS precision sporter that I know of .
Old 09-25-2004, 12:31 PM

The vast majority of rifles are never "shot out", so whether the barrel is blued steel or stainless, it is unlikely that a hunter will shoot out the bore of either, given that normal care is taken to protect the bore by proper cleaning and storage. I firmly believe that the choice should be made based on what the shooter wants and what looks good in the shooters eyes.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats assuming of course that one can take care of a gun. If your out hunting all day the last thing I want to do is have to worry about my gun rusting. A blued gun has to be wiped down regularly. If it is nasty wintry weather there is no comparism. Yes stainless will rust but nowhere the speed that blued will.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:57 PM

I've shot out a number of barrels varmint hunting and target shooting. The stainless will last longer and is more rust resistent. That said, I hunt with several rifles with blue barrels and have yet to have one rust on me. Taking the time to take of your rifle after a day in the rain or snow will normally take care of any rust concerns.