Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 want to buy a good flat shooting accurate caliber >

want to buy a good flat shooting accurate caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

want to buy a good flat shooting accurate caliber

Old 09-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: want to buy a good flat shooting accurate caliber

The 7mm rem mag and 300 magnums are a great choice, i shoot a 7mm and love it. You mentioned you really wanted some power than maybe you should check out the Ultra mags, Weatherbys and the STW, they are way more than anyone actually needs, unless you are taking elk and mulies at very long ranges.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

cant go wrong with teh 300 win mag, more tehn enough power for any north american game animals. My brother inlaw drop a black bear at 250 yard with his.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I checked, deer didn't need a "very powerful" cartridge to eliminate them. However if you want a caliber that will reach out there to long range and kill them cleanly, several cartridges come to mind, depending on how much money you want to spend, and if you reload or not. I am thinking of the 7mm RUM, the .257 Weatherby Magnum, and the Lazzeroni cartridges of .257, and 7mm screamers (Scramjet, and Firebird). With a 120 grain bullet, that 6.53 Scramjet (.257), still carries 1600+ foot/lbs of energy at 500 yds. I don't know of any deer that wouldn't fall to that and with the a drop of only 19" at that range, the shot would be possible with a lot of practice. There are a couple draw backs to these cartridges though. One is the cost of the rifle, then the cost of ammo, whether you reload or not, you are burning a LOT of powder, and also the fact that with the incredible velocities, the barrel life on these rifles is very short compared to what one might get out of the calibers you already own. Here is Lazzeroni's website with the cartridges I just mentioned. http://www.lazzeroni.com/
Old 09-18-2004, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

Last time I checked, deer didn't need a "very powerful" cartridge to eliminate them. However if you want a caliber that will reach out there to long range and kill them cleanly, several cartridges come to mind, depending on how much money you want to spend, and if you reload or not. I am thinking of the 7mm RUM, the .257 Weatherby Magnum, and the Lazzeroni cartridges of .257, and 7mm screamers (Scramjet, and Firebird). With a 120 grain bullet, that 6.53 Scramjet (.257), still carries 1600+ foot/lbs of energy at 500 yds. I don't know of any deer that wouldn't fall to that and with the a drop of only 19" at that range, the shot would be possible with a lot of practice. There are a couple draw backs to these cartridges though. One is the cost of the rifle, then the cost of ammo, whether you reload or not, you are burning a LOT of powder, and also the fact that with the incredible velocities, the barrel life on these rifles is very short compared to what one might get out of the calibers you already own. Here is Lazzeroni's website with the cartridges I just mentioned. http://www.lazzeroni.com/
Those prices for lazzeroni are insane! $99.99 for 20 rounds of the scramjet. Not to mention the $5,000.00 plus rifle!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what you get for a custom gun with custom ammo. Weatherby isn't much better. Some of their ammo, can run close to $80 a box. It is insane, but people buy it, or else they wouldn't be in business right now I am sure.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

For long range power depending on the critter I am partial to the 270 wby mag with a 130 nosler ballistic tip, and a 30-378 wby with a 180 grain barnes.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

30-06lover, I really don't know why you want something "very powerful" for deer. Unless you're going after some very dangerous deer, or you mean elk or moose, you really don't need anything more than your 30-06.
I'm going on a mulie/antelope hunt in a couple of weeks and my 300 Win Mag is staying home. I will be taking my .270 Win as my primary rifle and my 7mm-08 as a back-up.
But getting back to your question - If you are looking for a good cartridge for deer at long range, which is I assume is what you're looking for.
My opinion would be a 7mm Mag, 7mm RUM or 7mm STW. Although I don't own either of these chamberings, they would appear to be ballistically what you are looking for.
Just remember, a well placed shot from a lowly 30-30 is far better than a badly placed shot for a big belted magnum.
If you want a big bore magnum, be sure you are comfortable shooting it. If you are recoil shy the big boys aren't for you.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know why you want a "very powerful" chambering for deer. By 'very powerful' I assume you mean flat shooting. If that's the case I would opt for a 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm RUM, or a 7mm STW.
I'm headed for a mulie/antelope hunt in a couple of weeks and my 300 WM is staying home. I will be using my .270 as my primary rifle and my 7mm-08 as my back-up.
Either of these is more than enough for deer beyond 300 yds.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:14 AM

ORIGINAL: 30-06lover

I want to buy a new caliber for deer hunting. I already have a 30-06,243win, and a 30-30. I want a good flat shooting cartridge thats very powerful. I was thinking in the 300 magnums or 7mm mags. Anything thats very powerful.

Thanks for any replys!
What ranges do you expect to be doing your shooting at?

Where do you hunt deer? Open country? Bush? or ?

Which deer do you hunt? White tail, Mule, Elk, Moose?

Does a lot of recoil bother you?

Please answer these questions as they will enable you to get better answers from the hunters here.

Quick Reply: want to buy a good flat shooting accurate caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.