HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   buckshot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/69861-buckshot.html)

Cottonmouth 08-21-2004 10:22 PM

buckshot

What is to far to shoot using 12 guage 00 3inch...Im just curious Im mostly a bow hunter but there is a couple of days I take my shotgun out...
by the way Its a Glenfield 12 guage.....anyone ever heard of em? Its old and beat up but 100% reliable

frizzellr 08-21-2004 10:52 PM

RE: buckshot

The answer to your question will be answered largely on how well your gun patterns. Some folks will say any range is too far for buckshot, but I tend to disagree. It has its place as long as you keep it within its limitations and your gun shoots it well.

johnch 08-22-2004 06:43 AM

IMO 40 yds is max but only if your gun will patteren at that range.
Glenfeild is a plain Marlin ,if it is a pump gun most likly it is a Win. model 12 copy they were a good gun

Pro-Line 08-22-2004 07:00 AM

My experience with buckshot tells me that it will kill a deer. Personally, I don't feel it has a place in hunting past 50 yards.

Others who hunt with it will tell you differently. If someone tells you that they are consistently killing deer at 100yds with buckshot, ask for a video.

DM 08-22-2004 08:24 AM

The problem with buck shot "isn't" the buck shot. Those that use it all the time, learn what it will do and not do, and have no problems killing deer at 50 yards. Those that just shoot at a deer and don't see it drop in it's tracks swear that buck shot is no good!!

For a starter, if you don't take the time to try different buck shot loads (brands and buck shot sizes) in your shotgun, you will never know if it will work in your shot gun or not, or how far to use it on game animials.

Drilling Man

Tree climber 08-22-2004 08:38 AM

as the others said,you need to pattern your gun with different size and name brand shells.
my BPS 3"will shoot Winchester #4 buck better than any others.
The best way to tell is get a sheet of plywood,(4'x8') and put a paper plate in the middle.
step back say 30 to 40 yards and shoot each different one,if you find one that can put several pellets in the plate then step back another 5 yards at a time.this will tell you if you have a killing load.it only takes a few pellets if they are in the plate.

Pro-Line 08-22-2004 08:40 AM

Tree...With the price of plywood in your area right now, wouldn't it be cheaper to tape the plate on the tailgate of a new truck? LOL:D:D:D

Tree climber 08-22-2004 08:42 AM

Pro ; you are truly right,I do think the Gov. has stopped some of the high prices. they are a few people in jail right now.[&:];):D