Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Scope? >

Which Scope?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bushnell
14.03%
Leupold
40.66%
Simmons
5.31%
Tasco
2.87%
Zeiss
8.66%
Swaroski
5.07%
Redfield
2.75%
Weaver
1.61%
other
19.04%
Voters: 1675. You may not vote on this poll

Which Scope?

Old 12-04-2004, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Which Scope?

I was leaning Leupold the whole way due to recommendations and reputation.
However, Burris seems to have a lot of features, still Made in USA, also has a lifetime warranty and for a Fullfield II in Matte 3-9x40mm plus a 20X-50mm spotting scope I just paid $200. I'll be sure to report back with my impressions.
Info: http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html
Old 12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Simmons Pro Hunter 4-12x40 AO scope on a Marlin 30-30. ...yeah, I know.... way too much scope and a little overkill for a common 30-30. [8D] Hey, it was on the rifle, when I bought it. I has Kwik-site raised up/see thru sight rings too.

{{you might know the story.... A buddy at work had the Marlin 30-30 and sold it to me for $250 bucks. Sweet little shooter and real accurate out to 100-150 yards. Word has it, the buddy had the 30-30 for years, then bought the big Simmons scope to use on a new .270 or 7mm-08 or whatever, but ran out of $$$ for the bigger rifle. So, he just said "what the heck" and mounted and bore sighted the Simmons Pro Hunter on the Marlin 30-30. Hey, it works... Looks like a darn grenade launcher on top of the old 30-30, or better yet, it's probably comparable to putting a 350ci V8 engine in a VW Beetle! But like I said, hey, it works....}}

Anyway, I am thinking of downgrading the big scope on the 30-30 and going with something more suitable for it. If I pick up a nice 30-06 or 7mm or the monster 300Win mag, I'll slap the Simmons Pro Hunter on that.

But here's my main question: What would be a nice, light, quick to focus, bang around in the brush, type of scope for the common 30-30?

Butch A.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ButchA,
I'd advise youto try to find a Leupold 4x fixed compact or a Leupold 2-7 X 33compact... used. I see them out there, and if you don't mind a scratch or 2 they can be purchased from a gun shop out of the used showcase... the shop owner will often mount it with rings and mounts...bore sight it... for under $150.00, and considering the warranty on Leupolds you could always send it to Oregon for a complete once over..usually at NO CHARGE whatsoever
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I have seen Leupold scopes and, my God... the quality and craftsmanship are amazing. Top dollar scope too! [8D] But I don't know about dropping that much $$$ on a scope for a used Marlin 30-30.

I won't be making shots over 100 yards anyway and either hunt from a treestand, overlooking a small field of thickets and high grass, or I'll slow stalk hunt in the heavy stuff. With the see-thru scope rings, I can easily use the open sights and be right on, in 0.2 seconds. But I just want to be able to use a basic, simple, low powered "brush gun" scope.

I refuse to look at BSA and Tasco. Sorry.... Can't do it. I had a "Trash-co" rimfire scope on a .22 and it was a total piece of junk.

Another question: Which is better? Bushnell or Burris?

Butch A.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are trying to keep your cost under $75.00 installed then you better stick with the Bushnell.
My opinion is that the Burris is a better quality choice than Bushnell....but if you're buying new you'll be hard pressed to keep a Burris under what i mentioned for the used Leupold.
What's your budget?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.... My budget? HA! My "budget" is whatever my wife will let me spend!

I remember when my buddy at work let me borrow the Marlin 30-30 last season to check it out, shoot it a few times at the range, hunt with it, etc... I immediately fell in love with it after the first few rounds. It's just one of those timeless classics that just feels right.

So, when we were discussing selling it/buying it and whatnot, I took it up to Green Top Sporting Goods (local hunting/firearms/bows/fishing/etc.. store) to get their opinion, appraisal, overall "street value" sort of thing. I told them the price was $250 for the 30-30, scope, and locking case. They agreed and said it was most likely worth $300 due to the big Simmons scope on it. It is from the late 80's and still in pristine condition with no blemishes, rust pitting, dings, dents, whatever. Same with the scope. They kind of laughed at seeing the overall appearance of the big scope mounted on see-thru rings on the 30-30. I mean, in laymans terms, it was like, "Daaay-um! WTF was your buddy thinking?!? You got way too much scope for gun. But still for the condition of everything, it'll go for $300 bucks easy."

So anyway, I just want to bring things back into perspective. Take my scenario, but do the reverse (too much gun for scope).... In the reverse fashion, it would be like me having a huge Weatherby but only having a Tasco 1-4x20mm scope on it! [&:]

Getting back to your question about price ranges and budgets? I would probably be willing to spend around $100 bucks on a nice, small scale, quick focus, scope that would be perfect for the 30-30.

Butch A.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not saying that the quality of these scopes will be up to your liking...but they would fall into the price range and utility that you are seeking

Simmons (if you can find one) Whitetail Expedition 1.5-6 X 32 should be under $100 new with rings and mounts

Nikon fixed 4X Pro staff $ same as above

Bushnell Banners and Trophy lines have a bunch of scopes in fixed and variable that will come in under $100

I don't think you will need more than 6X but if you could find a 3 x 9 that was somewhat compact that might work for you

Personally....I'd go for a little more quality in a used scope....it'll probably last as long os the rifle. Leupold...Nikon... older Redfields...Weavers
Old 12-20-2004, 04:21 PM

Leupold LPS 2.5-10 on my Remington 7 mag and Kahles 1.5-6 on my Remington 700 in 35 Whelen. Both with 30mm tubes.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:10 PM

Nikon Monarch UCC. Every bit as good as Leupold and less expensive to boot.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 AM

vivitar 3-9x40 anyone else own one of these

Quick Reply: Which Scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.