Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What is "moly coating" and what does it do? >

What is "moly coating" and what does it do?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is "moly coating" and what does it do?

Old 02-26-2002, 02:29 PM

Default What is "moly coating" and what does it do?

Subject says it all. Is it worth the cost? Does it affect the cleaning of the bore? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is "moly coating" and what does it do?

i may be toatally rong but this is what ive heard...its a teflone coating...and its extremely hard to get out of the bore....and for the cost and what it does to the barrel...the improvments arent great...my friend tried the load they got worked up for his 243 with moly coated bullets and it grouped like crap...normal bullets it shot great....i may be rong tho...

mauser06
Old 02-26-2002, 04:10 PM
bigcountry

Adds speed to your bullet. They are not teflon. Teflon coated bullets are against Fed. Regs I believe due to their use with bullet proof vests.

Its Molybdenum Disulfide. It is supposed to reduce pressure buildup so you can make faster loads. Also, is supposed to reduce fouling. I have not chono'd any yet but will tell you how it works.

Old 02-26-2002, 06:19 PM
XTP

....sells more bullets!!!LOL...supposed to reduce friction,improve barrel life,and increase velocity.Haven't heard alot of great things about it though....think I'll stick with my Hornady's...
Old 02-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Host of Hosts

makes a real mess of the bore from what I understand
Old 02-26-2002, 07:08 PM

Love it,but i dont buy coated bullets.i buy the loose powder and coat them myself in a tumbler.You can increase powder charge and i have gained 75 -100 fps but like anything else you have to be careful with increased powder charges.I dont clean my barrels until roughly 500 rounds and it takes a very good cleaning but its not difficult by any means.I would never fire 500 rounds of copper jacket bullets so i couldnt tell you the difference.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:04 AM

Check out www.norma.cc

They have a report on their website detailing what they found in there testing. If I remember it correctly the moly coating increases velocity, decreases pressure and reduces copper fowling. Accuracy is not affected or improved.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:05 AM

Check out www.norma.cc

They have a report on their website detailing what they found in there testing. If I remember it correctly the moly coating increases velocity, decreases pressure and reduces copper fowling. Accuracy is not affected or improved.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:20 AM

I just shot some loads in my buddies .308 - identical in every way except the bullet.

Winchester 150 grain failsafes (Moly coated) average 2750 fps
Nosler 150 grain partition (non coated) averaged 2850 fps

The failsafe, being a mostly copper bullet, are longer than the partition, so they may have more friction. Perhaps they would be even slower without the coating.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 02-27-2002, 08:15 AM
bigcountry

For a report. All this talk got me curious, and I am not too much on taking advise, for me its seein is believin.

so I loaded up 20 last night 180g CT partitions 94, 95g of H1000 and CCI 250 primer for my 300RUM. Well, I shot the entire 20 rounds with no effects to the groups opening up. I usually have to clean after 8-10 rounds. But it did change my load a little. Before with Noslers 180g PT, my optimum load was 94g. Now it seems to moved it up to 95. I got 3 .9-1.1" groups with 94g and 3 groups with 95g produced 2 groups around .5" and one about .8". Didn't have time to chrono however. I might have to look into this deeper. If you have a gun that opens groups after 10 or 15 rounds, I believe these are worthwhile. If you don't shoot that much at a sitting, might want to save the 3 dollars. but for me it was a success.