Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Someone plz help out the new guy !!! >

Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 AM

Default Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

Hi, I'm new here. I've never been hunting, and since I'm a computer freak I figured this would be the best place to go get advice. So here's a little about me.

1. I'm 20 years old, 6ft 2in. 290 lbs. male.

2. I've gone to the range with my buddies before, so I'm not TOO stupid about firearms. I can load them, fire them, etc, and know all my safety precautions, etc.

3. I've never once gone hunting. The closest thing to hunting I've ever been was stalking a stray cat that pissed on the hood of my car, and killing it with a pellet rifle.

4. The only guns I've ever shot were a .22LR, a 12 guage single shot, and a .270 bolt action rifle. The only comfortable gun to shoot was the .22LR. I shot 3.5 inch slugs out of the shotgun twice, and damn near broke my shoulder both times. The .270 was not as bad, but did kick a good bit.

So now that you know something about me, maybe some of you can recommend a decent caliber rifle for my first deer hunt. My uncle is going to bring me (he's been going hunting for years now), and all the only gun he has that's suited to deer hunting is the one he's going to use. All of the other ones are pretty large caliber, like .454 or .458 or something ( not sure exactly what it is, but the shells are damn near a half inch diameter, so I'm assuming it's probably not meant for deer hunting). Also, what kinds of things should I wear, or bring with me? Do I have to wear orange or can I wear complete camo? It seems like wearing orange would make you stand out and defeat the purpose of hunting. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Someone plz help out the new guy !!!

cant help you with rifles because i hunt with a 12 gauge but we need to know where you live? because its different in some states for hunter orange.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:51 AM

Hi InvisibleSkullGrabber,

About the orange. You will need to check your state requirements concerning appropriate dress to determine if you will need orange, how much, and the manner worn. Each state determines these individually and you should be able to answer this question online by contacting your state fish and game department, (Department of Natural Resources). Or you should be able to obtain a printed copy by request or maybe even a local sporting goods store. (Or ask your Uncle to borrow his.)

If you considered the .270's recoil as fairly stout I'd recommend you look at a rifle in .243 Winchester, or .260 Remington, or even .257 Roberts if you can find one. These cartridges will provide sufficient energy to cleanly kill a deer (but you must properly place the shot) and do it without an excess amount of recoil. Of those mentioned above the .243 Winchester is probably the most common.

Make sure you properly sight in your rifle and get some practice with it. You will find bullet placement is the key element to cleanly bagging any game while doing it most humanely.

Good luck with your upcoming hunt.

Dave
Old 08-03-2004, 07:52 AM

Get yourself a rifle chambered for .243 Win. It has plenty of power with little recoil. And i would suggest you log on to your states DNR website for hunting laws and regulations. Their is a lot of info you need to know. And if you are 20 years old, you may have to go through a hunters safety course to be able to hunt. You would have to here in Illinois. Just my $.02
Old 08-03-2004, 07:54 AM
bigcountry

Wear orange. Might save your life. Look into the 270. I suggest open sited. When you get one, come back here, and we can suggest a good recoil pad like limb saver. Well worth the money. Then go out and get yourself 5 box's of ammo (100 rounds). Cheap stuff like Remington coreloks is perfect. Keep the gun open sited. You will have no business shooting long range yet. Start shooting 25 yards get it really zero'd in or maybe 1/2" low at 25. Don't shoot too much at one time, maybe one box. Its counter productive. Don't fire more than 3 rounds at one sitting before letting the barrel cool down for 10 min or so. Before leaving fire 3 rounds standing up with no rest. Next trip, move out to 50 yards. Shoot off the bench a few rounds, and then before leaving the range each trip, shoot off handed standing up. Just so you understand your limitations and know what you up against. When your hitting 3" groups at 50 yards off the bench, your ready. You can pop a few shots at 100yards each trip after that. Just to see where you are skill wise. But really suggest concentrating on 50 yards. At this point, you should have a box of ammo left for hunting season.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:25 AM

Another good light recoil rifle for deer would be a 25-06.
Val
Old 08-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find one a 6.5x55 Swedish is a great deer gun. Ammo is fairly cheap too.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM

you are a big boy so if a .270 bothers you my guess is you have never been taught how to mount and hold the rifle properly.
.243, 25-06 all great choices. Like Kona said 6.5 x 55 is great too. Thats what I shoot in a Ruger M77.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: GATurkHunter

you are a big boy so if a .270 bothers you my guess is you have never been taught how to mount and hold the rifle properly.
.243, 25-06 all great choices. Like Kona said 6.5 x 55 is great too. Thats what I shoot in a Ruger M77.
You're right about that one. I was never really taught anything, I just kinda figured it out on my own. Is there a certain way of doing it? Also I'm in Mississippi, if it helps to know where I'm located.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 AM

Have you thought about a lever-action 30-30? Great little guns, not much recoil, inexpensive (especially used ones), perfectly suitable on deer out to 100 or so yards.

As for recoil, I'm a big guy too, and I can take a .30-06 with no trouble--just remember to really tuck that rifle into your shoulder when you shoot. If you don't, it'll accelerate into your flesh, which is the kind of thing that'll spoil your shooting day in a hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.