Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 alternative to blueing >

alternative to blueing

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

alternative to blueing

Old 07-30-2004, 11:04 PM

Default alternative to blueing

Im building my first custom mauser, heavy barreled 243 on a vz24 mauser action. I dont want to blue the metal. Ive seen the spray on laquer/bake on finishes from brownells. I realize that these do not last as long as traditional blueing, but would like to hear any experiences with the spray ons. The reason I dont want to blue, is because Im looking for the matte stainless/ bead blasted look. Im on a budget so Im looking to save on the blueing expenses
Old 07-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: alternative to blueing

If you are going to use one of those I would use the bake on teflon finish. Some of them are pretty decent, like the teflon, but I would not use any of them myself. That type of finihs just aint my cup of tea.

If I were going to have a finish like this applied to the rifle I would send it to Rocky Mountain Arms in Longmont, Colorado and have them apply the "Bear Coat" finish. But it aint cheap at $300.00. Every single part in the rifle, except for the springs and bore, is coated and protected though.

You may want to check around and see about having it parkerized. It is a tougher finish than regular blueing and is a heck of a lot faster and less labor intensive than blueing so it should be cheaper. Depending on the make up of the steel the finish color of the steel will vary from a dark grey to a dark black.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

id have it parkerized too....when i get the cash to building my custom mauser it will be parkerized......or painted.....depending on the look i go with....a tactical machine or a neat looking take driver with a beuatiful laminated stock ect......parkerizing is tough...takes alot to hurt it...not exzactly sure what it is though? kinda like a bead blast almost.....? im not sure what it is or how its done really.....but i like it on certain applications......
Old 07-31-2004, 12:01 AM

I believe parkeriziing is the way most old military rifles finished. Kind of a dark brownish black,

I want the the matte stainless/ light gray finish becasue I think it will go good with the camo laminate stock Im waiting on. You know the most imprtant thing about a gun is looks heres the laminated stock Im getting minus the forearm vents

Old 07-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would parkerize it.
parkerization can come out in many different colors including Black, green, tan, and even gray in appearance depending on the method and materials used.

I'f I'm not mistaken the color can sometimes be changed by soaking the parkerized parts in motor oil for a period of time- I think this usually turns the finish green.

ASk a gunsmith if they can parkerize it in a grayish hue.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:29 AM

You might want to try nitric acid, it gives a look from pewter to golden depending on how long you let the acid on,and gives moderate protection, and fairly easy touchup.
Use lab grade acid to minimize sploching and dilute 50% with destilled water. Wipe down all parts to be treated with degreaser and rinse with destilled water. Let dry and apply acid and water mix. Here's the part where you have to guess, leave the acid mix on for a couple minutes to several hours, depending on how much color you want. Every gun is slightly different on time and you can't see what it will look like till you remove the acid. Wash down the parts with destilled water and heat them dry (I use a propane torch,just warm the parts to Dry, Don't hold the heat any one place for very long) Finish off by soaking parts in a bath of clean oil. You can spot touch up same way just be careful. This acid is nasty stuff, use full protection, and well ventilated areas, Not in your house.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I also like parkerizing. I had a savage 99 and a 97 winchster that were in bad shape done and they turned out well. They cost me $100 ea ...Bill
Old 08-01-2004, 10:56 PM

I blasted the finish off of the barreled action today, and if I could use a clear coat I would, becasue this is this is the finish/color I want. I dont want to take it to a 'smith for finishing, becasue its not in my budget at the moment. Just dont have the $100 for parkerizing or the blueing, a local shop quoted me $95 for blueing. I just dont have it to spend this time. Man I wish I did, it would be alot easier. Im just gonna go with the teflon sprya on bake on laaquer in matte SS from Brownells. If its lasts a hunting season, Ill be happy, later one I can do something else....unless I start working on an 8mm-06 that Im thinking of
Old 08-02-2004, 07:13 AM
bigcountry

I like parkerizing the best. I now do it on all my rifles. Only problem is finding a place to do it. You can get it brown, matte black, is grey. I love the matte black. No glare would be possible with it.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like parkerization also but I have a rifle that I used a 2 part epoxy paint on ,going on 3 seasons now and it has not peeled ,preperation is everything.