HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Winchester Ranger????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/6718-winchester-ranger.html)

Tazman 02-25-2002 12:08 PM

Winchester Ranger?????

I have one that I got brand new and have never known anyone else with one. Where would I find out how many were made and what years?

The Tazman

diyj98 02-25-2002 12:34 PM

RE: Winchester Ranger?????

The Rangers were lower cost versions of the Winchester guns. The Blue Book or The Gun Traders Guide probably available in your local book store or gun store should give you the production dates. Give Winchester a call or email to find the dates and production numbers.

clattin 02-25-2002 04:46 PM

If you're referring to the shotgun, I have one in 12ga...they also made a ranger rifle based on the 94, i think. I love my ranger and use it as my primary turkey/waterfowl gun. Never had any trouble with it.

JagMagMan 02-25-2002 05:45 PM

Taz, I have a Winchester Lightweight M70. It has been discontinued, but
I think the Ranger was it's replacement. The Lightweight is about the same size as the Remington M-7. Mine is a .308 and it is a very good shooting gun.
As for finding out about that particular gun, you might try Winchester's web site. I have not been to that sight in a while, so I don't know what they have. I went to Ruger's web site after buying a used Super Redhawk and gave them the serial number and they told me exactly how old the gun was! Maybe Winchester can do the same. Good luck!

Hk45USP 02-26-2002 12:08 AM

Are you refering to the lever action 1894 "Ranger"????

If you are, here is the difference between the standard lever action 1894 and "Ranger" model.

Both guns were identical with barrel, trigger, receiver, size etc... The only differnece is the standard 1894 has walnut wood (stock, forearm grip), where the Ranger uses a cheaper wood like birch.

Secondly, the standard came with a hooded front sight, where the Ranger comes with an non-hooded front blade sight.

That's it. No other difference. Both shoot identical because they are the same guns, just different wood components. Using birch wood is cheaper than walnut, and allows people with a smaller budget to still get a Winchester "lever action" rifle at a more affordable price. I own both rifles.

In fact, I prefer to take out my Ranger rifle instead of my walnut one, because I don't care if I get dings and scratches all over the birch stocked gun. It's a brush hunting tool.

billyb 02-26-2002 12:12 AM

The model 70 has a version of Ranger also and my 270 shoots real good but the stock isn't as pretty, big deal.

Surestrike 03-02-2002 09:24 PM

The primary difference in the Mod 70 Ranger is that it's a push feed vs a Controlled feed like the standar Mod 70. It also has some other cheapened features such as finish. Basically it's a left over post 64 pre new calssic claw extractor gun. They shoot just fine they're just not what most people buy a Mod 70 for in the first place And that a controlled feed action.

whelen36 03-03-2002 06:39 PM

i have an old bolt action 16 guage shotgun ranger, and an 89 win. ranger mod. 94. they also made a model 70 ranger as well. they work just like the regular production rifles and shotguns, they just have economy grade stocks from what i have and have seen

MR300WM 03-03-2002 08:10 PM

I also have a 16 gauge bolt action shotgun. It says on the barrel that it is from Sears, Roebuck and company. It is a Ranger 105-20. If I remember right it was made by Savage.

swampchopper 03-05-2002 08:20 PM

I own a Winchester 12 gauge 2 3/4inch chamber semi automatic, 28inch vent rib modified choke barrel my wife bought for my birthday in 1985. All it says on it is Winchester ranger. It is the most reliable gun, I have ever owned. I hunt anything with it except turkey and deer. It has never given my any problem, and I wish I had more.
Joe<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have one that I got brand new and have never known anyone else with one. Where would I find out how many were made and what years?

The Tazman
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>