Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Sighting in Problems >

Gun Sighting in Problems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Sighting in Problems

Old 07-21-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Gun Sighting in Problems

I have a Browning A-Bolt II Left handed Stainless Stalker in 300 win mag. I added a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 scope, and had Leupold mounts installed by my gun dealer. I'm using Winchester 180 gr Power-Point ammo.

When I went to the range, I couldn't get my scope to sight in. No matter how much I turned the elevation and windage dials, the gun continues to shoot 1 foot high. I got frustrated and turned the elevation dial about 15 times towards down, and on the next shot, it landed 1/4" to the left of the previous shot. I've been to the range 3 times and wasted about 70 shots. My wallet is now significantly lighter, and my shoulder significantly bruised, and the gun still shoots 1 foot high at 100 yards[:@]. Does anyone know why my gun won't sight in?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 10:55 PM

Default RE: Gun Sighting in Problems

redhead it sonds like your scope is not working nikon is a grat brand wont I would do is take the gun and scop back to the shop that put it on and ask them to bor sit it if the cross does not move it is the scope you should be abel to see them move throw the bor site every now and thene a bad scope go's not the door good luck let me know how it comes out
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 PM

I would also check and see if your rings are the same hight. Could be that the front one is taller then the rear. 15 clicks should have lowered it 3.75" @ 100 yards. I would check the rings, and have it bore sighted. I am surprised they did not do it when they mounted it.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:25 AM
bigcountry

Make sure your recticles are centered. When you get to the limit of adjustment things like this can happen somewhat. Other than that, your scope is screwed.

Old 07-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know why it won't site in but my advice would be to bring it to the gun dealer who installed it and have him bore site it. It will cost half as much as a box of ammo and should bring the gun closer in than you are shooting.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you adjust the scope and the point of impact does not change, something is wrong with it. In other words, it's broke man. No matter what rings are on it.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:20 AM

When sighting in your scope, the first thing is that your rifle must be bore sighted. This will ensure that you will hit the paper target at 100 yards. BUT your scope may require to be shimmed in the rings during this process. I had a Swarovski scope mounted to my M70 30.06 and it took one shim after bore sighting. I shot it at the range and after several clicks it still shot LOW. I took it back inside and they put another shim in the ring. My rifle started shooting tacks after that. Shimming is very common on some scope models so I would get that done and shoot your rifle again before thinking the scope was no good.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you adjust the scope and the point of impact does not change, something is wrong with it. In other words, it's broke man. No matter what rings are on it.
exactly
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 PM

Hey kyhillbilly74,
In response to your question, I went ahead and sent the scope back to Nikon. They said that it was past repair since it had heavy water damage. This is really weird, since I've only ever shot it on sunny days. Regardless, Nikon is going to replace my Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope with a new Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. Even with this attempted buy-off of a better scope, I'm going to sell this one on ebay and get a Leupold instead. After all, I've only had 2 scopes and neither worked, (a Bushnell and a Nikon,) so I'll just stick to Leupolds. If the Leupold doesn't work though, I'll probably go postal.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: redhead522

I'm going to sell this one on ebay and get a Leupold instead.

that's the best idea i've heard yet.

Quick Reply: Gun Sighting in Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.