Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 35 Whelen >

Remington 35 Whelen

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 35 Whelen

Old 07-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 35 Whelen

Any opinions on the the Remington 35 Whelen? My brother-in-law has the pump version and swears by it. He was telling me that they are in production again and I was looking to purchase a new gun for big game.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 35 Whelen

I have always been a fan of Remington Pumps. I think they have made recent improvements as well. Not sure if they are experiencing QC issues as some other models seem to be lately.

As for the 35 Whelen, it is a good big game round, especially for a handloader.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

it will handle any big game animal on the north american continent with the right bullet loading . the remington pumps are excellent but , i've heard ( not confirmed ) stories about thier actions in .35 whelen popping open right after firing , i don't know how true this is as my .35 whelen is an older model 700 classic . but the cartridge is a great one and very potent.

BTW- they're also offering it in a limited edition in the model 700 CDL
Old 07-16-2004, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: whelen36

it will handle any big game animal on the north american continent with the right bullet loading . the remington pumps are excellent but , i've heard ( not confirmed ) stories about thier actions in .35 whelen popping open right after firing , i don't know how true this is as my .35 whelen is an older model 700 classic . but the cartridge is a great one and very potent.

BTW- they're also offering it in a limited edition in the model 700 CDL
I've had a pump in .35 Whelen and the action does "come open" upon firing. But it is not because anything is wrong with it. What happens is the recoil is enough it simply causes the "off hand" to start retracting the slide immediately upon firing. But there is nothing to worry about. By the time the action is starting to unlock and open the bullet has already exited the muzzle and pressures have dropped. It is perfectly safe!

Actually it is kind of nice because once you are accustomed to it you find it has the effect of cycling the action very rapidly. As quick or quicker than some autoloaders.

They are good guns and the .35 Whelen is a really fine caliber!

Dave
Old 07-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info akbound , because of what i've heard i stayed away from the whelen in a 7600 and went for the classic . wish i would've new that then as i like the pumps better than the turn bolts. they are very good guns , and are pretty accurate too.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have considered buying a .35 whelen before, it looks like a great caliber. It would be wonderful if they started producing it again. I would like to try one out.

Dave
Old 07-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

beltedmag ,

they are making them again , in limited quantities in the remington model 7600 , and the new remington model 700 CDL
Old 07-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .35 Whelen is a great gun for all animals in North America. I shot my first deer with a .35 at 20 yards and dropped him.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 7600 does the same thing. After the shot the off hand just naturally starts the slide back. I'll tell you this much though I can get off three rounds from the 7600 faster than any of my lever guns. with better accuracy as well.

Quick Reply: Remington 35 Whelen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.