Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Home defense problems.... >

Home defense problems....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Home defense problems....

Old 07-14-2004, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Home defense problems....

Pro-Line,

My children are out of the house now, so it is no longer an issue for me. When the kids were in the house, my children knew the guns were off-limits without their mother or I being present. However they were taught how to use firearms as soon as we thought they were mature enough to do so with supervision. Additionally we did NOT allow other children's presence in our home unless the wife or I, were home. We never had a problem.

If I had a child(ren) that I thought might not be trustworthy I would obviously have done things differently. My children knew they could see, handle, or even shoot the guns nearly anytime they wanted as long as they asked, and were supervised. I think partially as a result of that, and partially as a result of their temperments, (coupled with the fact no other children were ever in the environment unsupervised - which was my biggest fear personally), our children handled the trust in a responsible manner. So it never was an issue.

Previous to their being old enough to be trusted, we kept the "house gun" in a lock box, loaded. Each night the box was unlocked, each morning it was relocked. Once in the habit it was just like buckling a seat belt or brushing your teeth. It was something you always did........and never forgot!

The only responsible way to answer this question I believe is for the parent, (or parents), to sit down, consider their circumstances and their children, and do the responsible thing. (Unfortunately I know that there are some that won't, as in all things in life!)

Dave
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 PM

my gf thought i was crazy for doing it till a week ago. on may 1st of this year a strange guy was at my door at 3 a.m. i confronted him he said he had the wrong house and started down the stairs half way down he turns and starts back up. i made him aware i was armed an asked him to leave .well he left i made a police report the next day and they told me if he returned i had the right to keep him there till they arrived . well last week he came back at 4 a.m my dog started barking and he met my rem 870 i asked him what he was doing here he told me he was looking for his girlfriend who lives there
i asked who she was he told me the woman downstairs with the white truck.the woman downstairs is my mother who i know don't know this guy.well the police were called
the guy was arrested . funny thing is when they arrested him he had a thousand bucks in his front pants pocket so guess he wasnt there to rob me ? just glad i had a weapon within reach .
Old 07-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in a very unpopulated area like only one other person lives within a mile of me and then its along ways to the next home . It takes our sheriff 45 min. to get here and I have alot of night traffic on my road. So yes I keep my .44 mag loaded and ready . Its an old ranger thing.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Springfield Armory 1911 Micro compact laser sight. I would love to quick tap some one in the upper torso
Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 PM

Tough question, and it has to be answered by every individual. When my kids were small, there was only one rule about guns: They could look at and handle ANY gun at almost any time, PROVIDED daddy was there. It was sometimes a PITA to drop what I was doing and open the safe and get out a gun they had questions about, but it works wonders to de-mystify guns. House gun was a 1911, kept with the magazine inserted but not locked, and an empty chamber. Any competant adult could have the gun hot in just seconds, but with two distinct operation needed to do it, young children would not be likely to do it. Even if the child slammed home the magazine, cycling the slide and chambering a round is beyond the strength of most young folks. Mrs. Charley's DA revolver was kept with the cylinder open, and a speed loader inserted. Again, two distinct operations were required.
Life IS risk, each individual must accept the responsibility to reduce the risk for himself and family, and the BEST way to reduce such risk.
People have been doing stupid things with firearms since they were invented. I will continue to have loaded weapons available, I will have a swimming pool, and I will have children (more likely grandchildren) with bicycles. The swimming pool and bicycles are statisticly more likey to harm kids than firearms.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough question, and it has to be answered by every individual. When my kids were small, there was only one rule about guns: They could look at and handle ANY gun at almost any time, PROVIDED daddy was there. It was sometimes a PITA to drop what I was doing and open the safe and get out a gun they had questions about, but it works wonders to de-mystify guns.
That is exactly like the household where I was brought up- except the guns were kept in a cabinet in the living room in plain view, so they kind of became a part of the background to us.

House gun was a 1911, kept with the magazine inserted but not locked, and an empty chamber. Any competant adult could have the gun hot in just seconds, but with two distinct operation needed to do it, young children would not be likely to do it. Even if the child slammed home the magazine, cycling the slide and chambering a round is beyond the strength of most young folks
Thats' some pretty good reasoning. My wife can barely rack the slide on my 9mm, and she cannot pull back the slide on the 1911, I think it will be a long time before i have to worry about my kids on this one.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:28 PM

k im just a kid so im not serious about using any of this stuff bcuz i wouldnt but heres something for all the bad guys out the bad guys out there reading this.
in my room i have a rem 870, markII .223, ruger 10/22, like 10 foot traps (for coyotes and such), baseball bat, and my fasinating assortment of about 15 hunting knives.
just something for all u bad guys out there to think about if u plan on coming into my room...
Old 07-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 PM

im just a kid so im not serious about using any of this stuff bcuz i wouldnt
Old 07-15-2004, 06:08 AM

The way I schooled my son was to take him out and show him the results what a firearm can do to a watermelon and a pumpkin even before I enrolled him into hunters education
I did the same thing with canned tomatos. Gave my six year old a can and a hammer. Every boy believes he is the strongest person in the world. I told him to smack that can as hard as he could, as long as he wanted. After whacking it several times, with just a split seam, I reminded him just how small a .22 LR cartridge was, and popped a Stinger thru a can, with the obvious explosive results. Then I asked him to compare, and tell me which he thought could do more damage, him or a firearm. Gts the point across.

Quick Reply: Home defense problems....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.