Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New caliber from remington >

New caliber from remington

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New caliber from remington

Old 07-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New caliber from remington

Seriously i dont know what was wrong with the 308 as a military round.....if it is recoil, come on these guys are who the rest of us are supposed to look up to and respect they should be able to shoot a 308, my dad carried a M1 in 30-06 and a 45(which if im right they dont use either anymore!) whats the deal????!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:34 PM

Swampdog hit it right on the head, space and weight is what they're looking at doday.
Polack
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was something on the history channel once. They compared the M16 to the AK-47. As far as power, the AK seemed to be stronger, penetrating wood and cinderblocks a lot better. But the m16 was more accurate.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

The USA are supposed to abide by the Hague agreement of 1907 only if the opposing forces also signed it.
In this day and age, the he!! with The Hague.
Spec.ops and close quarter fighting is done with something that will put the enemy down quickly and for good.
Were did the concept of wounding come from in the time of war.
Some desk rider must of thought that up.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:33 PM
BT
Typical Buck

From my under standing the 6.8 is just to be isued to spical forces.
but the armey is looking at up grading the 5.56.
from some of my books theas are some posibiltys 5.56 with heaver bullets the 77gr is all ready in use by some units. but they are looking at the posibilty of going up to 100gr.
a 6mmx56 a new disined 6.5 and 30 cal.

they all have inhansed capibiltys but as a stop gap the 5.56 in a heaver gr or the 6x56 would be the cheapes option by far.
with juts a riffling rate change with the heaver bullits and a barral change with the 6.56.

as a side note the 6.8mm is verry close to what the brits wonted to use when we talked them in to going with the 308. i think it was called 270 ross or some thing like that.

the army does use ammo that is not fmj btw the mach king hp are used in sniping.

but the maine disine of the bullet is not to expend evan thought it does.

the yaw in some fmj do actualy brake up in to fragments but does not tencanly 'expand."
or at least its not the primary fuction of the bullet.

some of our aversary or past aversarys used hollow cavateys in the fmj to ficilate brake up and yaw.

from my reading on the subject and from test the "cert" team did i have come up with the conclusion that the lighter 55 gr fmj when they were barraly stablised by the riffling in early test proved to be more conducive to brake up and more boady dammage.

but the new twest rates are have some bad efects with stoping power "brake up"

the newer heavy loads for the 5.56 are more accert and have better pineration. but they are a little lacking in the yaw reducing the brake up efect.

with out the yaw you need weight and dimater to stop some one.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Army is currently testing a new replacement for the M4 ,and the M16 both . Its still being tested at Fort Benning ,Ga . Its called the MX8 and was developed by Hechler & koch Defense Inc. They were also testing the new polymer cased ammo to replace the brass rounds . I read this in the Army times .
Old 07-09-2004, 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: halcon

The Army is currently testing a new replacement for the M4 ,and the M16 both . Its still being tested at Fort Benning ,Ga . Its called the MX8 and was developed by Hechler & koch Defense Inc. They were also testing the new polymer cased ammo to replace the brass rounds . I read this in the Army times .
The M16 is a much better weapon then the MX8. The Marine Corps has already said no thanks to it. I can't believ they want to issue a weapon with no iron sights and depend on glass optics only! [:'(]
Old 07-10-2004, 05:28 AM

The test is over. The M8 will start to be issued to Army units sometime in FY2005. It is chambered for 5.56mm. H&K's website has a pretty good section on all the particulars for this weapon. The primary sight system is optical, but back-up iron sights are mounted as well.
The 6.8mm Rem SPC was developed by Remington based on a request and input from USASOC and the AMU at Ft Benning. Dept. of the Army has made no formal decision on wide scale introduction of this round.
I completely agree with the Beretta M9 comment. Based on my experiences with the M9 (Including being hit in the head with a slide) I will not own Beretta ANYTHING. .45 is the way to go - why have 15 maybe's in a magazine when you can have 7 definitely's. Case in point: Most operators (both US and ally) carry .45's or .40S&W.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gah!

Why don't we go back to 45-70's in trapdoor springfields, everyone knows that smaller rifle calibers are for sissies and won't stop a drugged up cannibal warrior from the phillipino jungles! The trapdoor is a much simpler rifle than the M16, m14, M1, 1903, and Krag rifles so there is less worry about finding dead soldiers with a jammed up gun!

For handguns lets go back to the Colt SAA. If the 1911 with 7 shots is better than the beretta with 15 because the .45 auto is more powerful, then logically 6 shots from a much more powerful Colt SAA should be superior to the 1911!

Naturally, the higher costs of the hundreds of tons of additional lead, brass, and powder can be picked up through donations from the armchair warriors who don't want to see progress in our military's technology.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

completely agree with the Beretta M9 comment. Based on my experiences with the M9 (Including being hit in the head with a slide) I will not own Beretta ANYTHING. .45 is the way to go - why have 15 maybe's in a magazine when you can have 7 definitely's. Case in point: Most operators (both US and ally) carry .45's or .40S&W.
If you don't want a slide to hit you in the head, then don't drop it on your head. Beretta has been in business for over 400 years- businesses don't stay around that long with a reputation of making junk. If most operators carried a tomahawk axe, should they be issued to every other military personel? 40S&W? Have you been playing too many video games? I'm calling BS on this one.

Quick Reply: New caliber from remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.