Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Mark V Rifles >

Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Old 07-08-2004, 12:45 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Weatherby Mark V Rifles

I think they started making them in the US when they contracted Remington to make the A-5's in the 40s and maybe 50s. I hope this guy didn't mean the Belguim brownings.

I have owned MarkV in a weatherby. Good looking gun and shot ok for a freebored round. But sold to build a custom. I do like the MarkV 3 lug design. I just can't figure how they justify the price. I paid over 1100 dollars 8 years ago for this fluted monster with a muzzlebreak. I had a heck of a rifle built for 1200 dollars. Had a 700 action, krieger barrel, timney trigger, and H-S stock.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will say this about Weatherbys and it concerns the MKV action ..I never had one ever fail and they are reliable as any gun made today. They may not get the accuracy of other makes but everyone I owned shot boringly well not 1/2" groups but solid 1" groups with factory ammo. Most of them will do that well. The most accurate MK V's are the ones chambered in standard and standard magnum cartridges. I watched a novice shoot a group at 300 yards with one chambered in 300 win mag that I wish any of my rifles could do.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think they are exceptionally good guns (Mark V series) I was loaned a Mark V synthetic for a year and with all handloads i tried in it, it shot under an inch groups. I killed an anelope at 300 yards with it, was a good quality gun in my opinion.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Weatherby Mark V Sporter in .340 Wby. Mag., and it will consistantly shoot .408" three shot groups if I do my part. My rifle is not an exception I have two other friends, and between them they own four Weatherby Mark V's, and they all shoot well under .75" groups at 100 yds. They are excellent rifles, and worth every penny. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:14 AM

You could not run fast enough to give me a Weatherby rifle. Here is a quote from an article titled, "Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter's Exam," which can be read on AfricanHunter.com. Even though you may not be planning a trip to Africa, this is not the kind of crap you should have to put up with when Weatherby is asking that kind of money for their rifles. Here is the quote:

"I’ll start with my least favourite rifle:- the Weatherby. We don’t often see them out here, thank goodness. The one we had this year exhibited the usual Weatherby failing of going off when the safety catch was disengaged. Like all I’ve seen with this problem, they work fine on the range. It is only after they have been bounced, bumped or jolted whilst loaded and on safe that they do this. I’m sure the problem is correctable and not all do it, however, this one would also not extract at all after the eighth round. It showed decidedly sticky extraction after the first three shots and finally died on number eight. It gives me great pleasure than to dig out my 2lb hammer and beat the bolt of a new rifle open whilst giving the owner a lecture on the benefits of reloading. Weatherby factory ammo always gives extraction problems and needs to be down loaded for use in hot conditions. The .460 is notorious and this .416 proved no different."
Old 07-10-2004, 04:39 AM

I've got a Weatherby Super Varmint Master in .223 that does a fair job of holding groups of 1/3" and sometimes less when I'm on my game. I've never had a group larger than .5" with any factory ammo, it seems to like 40gr. bullets the best, but I haven't gone through every factory load out there yet.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Mark V and I think it is a very good gun. I really like the 54 degree bolt and the locking lugs. I want at least 2 more in different calibers. Weatherby garentees a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards and with an 11 inch kill zone this is more than adequate to kill a deer. I have Ruger and Remington actions also but my favorite action is the Mark V.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:32 AM

Well I suppose the money factor is an issue when it comes to pricing a rifle that you really don't have a use for as you assess your hunting needs. I've always admired the Wby Mark V just out of plain beauty and smooth action. However, my Swedish Mauser that was made in the early 1900's has a pretty smooth action and it cost me a little over $100. So really I guess it comes down to what your needs are or what you've got the itch to save up for.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:54 AM
DM

I owned a few Wby.'s over the years. I had a 340 that i thought was the cats meooow, untill i took a shot at a moose at fairly close range. The moose didn't go down, and when i racked the bolt back, it came out in my hand!!! I fumbled around untill i got the bolt back in, and finished the job.

The bolt stop had broken in half, and it was a very common problem at the time. It's been corrected now.

Those 9 locking lugs are so small, that "junk" (like a very small stick or dirt) can fall in there and jam the gun, and also if you look them over carefully, you will see that they all aren't even touching. Even after fireing many many rounds several of lugs still won't be touching. ALL of these actions should have been lapped in, before the bbl is ever fitted to it!!!

Then there's the stocks. I've sent back a couple because the stocks were so full of knots, i couldn't believe it!! And one had a big knot in the wrist of the stock, and cracked!! I will say, that when it came back to me, it had a really nice piece of wood on it, and was layed out well in the blank.

When i was bench rest shooting a lot, every Wby. owner that shot at our range soon had a 700 Rem. to compete with!! No Wby. rifle ever won a match even one time at the club i was a member of, while i was there.

As a average hunting rifle, they are fine, but they ARE over priced and a better rifle can be bought or built for the money a Wby. cost!!

I still have a 240 wby., but it's built on a 700 Rem. action!!

Drilling Man