HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   The Great cleaning debate. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/64820-great-cleaning-debate.html)

Hoopy 06-29-2004 04:03 PM

The Great cleaning debate.

Now, I know everyone will have their own personal opinion but here is the question
How often do YOU clean your guns?
My brother insists that you should only clean it once, then fire it about 20 times then LEAVE it untill after hunting season.
I clean all of my guns weekly, every saturday without missing a beat.
What are your opinions?

Mark whiz 06-29-2004 07:07 PM

RE: The Great cleaning debate.

I clean it after I shoot it. If it sits dormant for a long period of time (which is a rarity), I'll run a patch or two of denatured alcohol down the bore, re-oil it, and put it back.

DarbyDabadoo 06-29-2004 10:17 PM

I Also clean after everytime I shoot. There has been times after a trip
that leaves and dirt get into the action or barrel - then I clean the bore
and action. Oil the exterior and she's good to go. Works for me, I have
used the same rifle for 15 years.

Highpower 06-30-2004 06:37 AM

I clean them after I shoot them and wipe them down everytime I handle them. That's it. They're all beautiful.

Popere 06-30-2004 06:57 AM

I also clean after every time I shoot them. Except for the Elk rifle. After the final days at the range before Elk season I will not clean my rifle untill I get home from the mountains.

Aught Six 06-30-2004 07:29 AM

I clean and lube my pistol after every shooting session with Hoppes and some Tetra. I'm a little more laid back about my (pump) shotgun and bolt-action rifles. If I shoot less than a box of ammo, I'll wipe it down and oil as needed, but I don't always clean the bore every time. Well, I will clean the shotgun bore to get the plastic fouling out after almost every session to prevent rust.

squirelboy 06-30-2004 09:16 AM

i clean mine after every time i shoot it...
just something that stuck with me after the army,
and growing up i was always taught that

Nomercy 06-30-2004 09:24 AM

During normal use, I clean my guns after I get done shooting that day, and I'll occasionally feel the need to clean them WHILE I'm shooting if I've been putting a lot of rounds downrange.

As far as hunting season goes, I usually sight in and don't clean until the end of season, basically because of what rifle I prefer to hunt with, it's incredibly accurate after a few fouling shots...when "clean" it shoots 4-5" groups at 100yrds, 2nd group is usually about 2.5-3", third group gets down to 1" or better...other rifles I have don't shoot quite that well, but shoot consistently from start to finish (or they're target rifles that weigh a LOT more than I want to carry hunting). Plus, on the off chance I don't get a screw positioned correctly and introduce a new tension to the system, I don't want to be finding this out as I'm taking a shot on a 14pt buck.

etw 06-30-2004 09:36 AM

If I'm going to hunt with it, my rifles seem to shoot better fouled. Otherwise, I clean it right after a trip to the range and immediately after hunting season. I use a light coat of gun oil inside and out between seasons, clean it with Hoppe's, finish the job with a dry patch when I head to the range. Works for me.:eek:

270 win. 06-30-2004 03:18 PM

after every time i hunt or shoot it.