Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka rifles >

Tikka rifles

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka rifles

Old 06-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tikka rifles

Hello, Just want some input on how good these rifles are, think about picking up a Tikka light T3 in 300wsm. Which is better, tikka or savage. Any input on bad and good points.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tikka rifles

Since the T3 has a "one size fits all" detachable magazine, I would not want it for anything else but magnum length calibers! I do not like the one size fits all action, it defeats the purpose of a short action caliber! I'd go with the Savage!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input, but could you explain better on the one size fits all and defeats the purpose of short action caliber, im new to these short mags.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's saying that a long action receiver chambered in a short action round don't make all that much sense. The MFR makes just the one receiver, long action, no matter what it's chambered for. So you tote around extra steel, and have a longer bolt throw, just like you would if you were shooting say a 300 Win. Mag. (long action round), but you're actually shooting say a 300 WSM (short action round). Curious why they don't make a short action.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to mention they have a 1/2" spacer in the Polymer magazine to accomodate the shorter cartridges..
Old 06-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

UncleNorby explained it well! The benefit of using a short action caliber is lost in the T3 because it only comes in a magnum length action. This should not really affect the quality or accuracy. It is just that to me, if I'm going to shoot a short action cartridge, I want all the benefits of the short action caliber, matched to a short action gun!
Tikka designed the T3 this way to keep the price down. The T3 comes in short, standard, and magnum calibers, while the gun itself, (action and magazine) comes in an action size that can fit all three-- the magnum length! That way there is no down time and retooling at the factory between caliber runs.
If I were looking for a magnum gun, I'd consider the T3, but not for a short or standard length caliber!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:41 PM

I was talking to a sales rep for sako/tikka. I asked him why the
heck they didn't shorten the action. ( I know why they didn't) however
it was the response that was important. It sounds like Sako will
be building a short action for the short mag calibers. I never asked about the tikka - my guess is probably not, to maintain a lower than sako pricing.
I think the weatherby vanguards action is shorter. Check it out when
your shopping - It is comparable to the savage in price, and in my opinion
is a better gun than the savage.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a Tikka!! Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 PM

I own a T3 Lite and absolutely love it. If you're not overly concerned with the action with your short mag, Tikka is a good buy. The accuracy is well above average and the action is nice and smooth. Mine's chambered in the .30-06 and is a beauty to shoot.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:27 PM

I own a T3 lite in 300 win mag and i love it!!!
The action is incretibly smooth and the trigger is a dream come true!
If you havent already go and pick one up, just to feel it and you know what i mean!

The only rifles i like more are the Sako´s but they are almost twice as expesive as the Tikkas!

Quick Reply: Tikka rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.