Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 could use some input about a-bolts ? >

could use some input about a-bolts ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

could use some input about a-bolts ?

Old 06-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default could use some input about a-bolts ?

Never saw one or shot one, how would you rate them. I just bought a Gold Medallion sight unseen off the net. It's a .243 and I plan to use it for coyotes. What scope power would you use, I was thinking of 6x instead of a 3x9 variable. Opinions please !
Old 06-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: could use some input about a-bolts ?

I can only help a little. I have a light weight stalker . Its my only A-Bolt and it is in 308. It compares well with my 700 Remingtons. The triger is a bit heavier than I like but I am going to get it adjusted. It shoots well even with the cheapest factory ammo I can find and will group about anything in 1 1/2 inch or less. If I had a 243 and was going to use it for varmit and coyote I would go with at least a 3x9 scope. 3 for closer running shots and 9 or more for long range shots. I would like more like 10 or 12 power for long shots but my eyes are older and not as sharp as they once were. I think you have a very good coyote gun there. Enjoy!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:12 PM

The Browning A-Bolt is a fine rifle. I elk hunt every year with a fellow that uses an a-bolt in 7mmRem Mag. Each year he gets his elk with 1 shot. You will get many opinions regarding the scope, but a quality 3X9 is always a good bet, and it is the #1 selling scope in the USA.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 06-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

my friend has one in 223 with a boss....its amazingly accurate for a factory rifle....i shot it in terrible conditions.....windy and spitting snow...shooting the winchester fmj loads....at 100yds i could cover my group with a quarter....and i never shot the rifle before in my life...and wasnt really trying overly hard and the conditions were horrible....cross wind and i was freezing....i really like the trigger....very little creep and it broke crisply...but his dads a gun nut....so i dont know if he tuned it or what......he may have....they said with their loads and the boss dialed in they can put them through the same hole...and i believe it....i really liked that rifle....and thinking of buying one next year...id buy one tomarow if i could......but i have to pay the truck off first.......
Old 06-28-2004, 10:05 AM

I have a left hand Stainless Stalker in .30-06 that is quite accurate when I've done my part. As for scoping your new acquisition, I'll defer to the more experienced varmint hunters on this board.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the most accurate out of the box rifles sold as well as reliable. People either love them or hate them doesn't seem to be an inbetween. I Positives:

Great Accuracy and Relibability
Chambered in a wide array of cartridges
Models from ultralightweight to heavyweight

Negatives:
Non Field strippable bolt
Trigger can be a pain to adjust
Magazine/detachable clip system does not allow seating cartridge to optimum OAL.