Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 teflon coat good or bad? >

teflon coat good or bad?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

teflon coat good or bad?

Old 06-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default teflon coat good or bad?

anyone have experience in getting a rifle or shotgun teflon coated. i have a stainless model 70 and was thinking about getting it done to tone down the shine. if you get it done is it reversable? does the finish wear off if scratched real good. can it be touched up? what companies are the best at doing this process.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: teflon coat good or bad?

I was going to go with teflon on my recent project but seen a heavily used gunw with chips. I went with good ol parkerizing instead. I love that dull black finish.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i did a search on the internet and i see a couple other options for gun coatings and finishes. i seen ny-lite and another thing called stealth tech finishes. now i dont know who is the best of course because in there adds they all beat up each others product. someone out there has to know the plus's and minus's of each process?
Old 06-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about Rhino Lining? Or would that stand up to the heat of the barrel? You can get it in many different colors!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:56 PM

Old 06-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think truck bed lining would work. i have applied this stuff to truck beds with careful preperation and that stuff still comes off. i guess there arent many who have ventured or done enough hunting to consider coating a rifle. i just thought someone has had a finish applied to there rifle that could give me good advice.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have been thinking of coating the action and barrel, but have not researched it extensively. I think the reason noone has really experimented with it is because of that wonderful thing called stainless steel. They probably figured if someone wants a hardy rifle, they will spend the money on a ss rifle. The only thing that I can think that even resembles a protective finish would be Ruger's target grey coating on their Super Redhawk. That has to be some sort of a protective coating.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like Teflon as it has a habit of chipping if dinged well. The best I have seen is NP3 by Robar.probably same price as teflon but is a tougher and has lubricating qualities ..I believe it contains nickel and teflon
Old 06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

Yea, but it costs a fortune oldelk. My friend has an FN A1 308 and it has NP3 coating. Really nice. I like old parkerizing. I am not sure why its so hard to find a gunsmith in my area that parkerizes. Only one place.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 AM

heres a good one. I have a friend who did his .243 with high heat BBQ paint. i thought he was nuts, but it looks good, is quite tough, and if you do scratch it, you can touch it up yourself. No gunsmith needed!

Quick Reply: teflon coat good or bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.