HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Benelli Super Black Eagle problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/62406-benelli-super-black-eagle-problem.html)

cwhitenton 05-29-2004 09:12 AM

Benelli Super Black Eagle problem

I got a Benelli Super Black Eagle (12 gauge) and among its many selling points was its ability to shoot anything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells. Well, it cycles the high brass stuff with no problem but when I took it to the sporting clays range it was an embarassment because it was jamming up on every other shell. I was shooting #8 shot low brass skeet loads, winchester and remington, both with same results. The gun is brand new, out of the box and the tech guys at Benelli said it had a "break-in" period so the recoil spring could fully cycle light and heavy loads. If that didn't work then he said I needed to buy a "light load kit". The tech guys idea of breaking the recoil spring in was shooting a couple of boxes of 3 1/2" mags through the gun. Does anyone have one of these guns and have you heard of or experienced this problem?

Danny45 05-29-2004 11:51 AM

RE: Benelli Super Black Eagle problem

Sorry to hear about your problem. You might try running a few boxes of field loads thru the gun first. I did this with mine, hunting rabbits, before I ever tried to shoot light target loads. When I did, the gun performed flawlessly with everything I put in it. I don't under stand the Hi-brass/lo-brass problem. I'd say if it shoots one, and not the other, there's some adjustments that need to be made at the factory. If it continues, insist on getting a new gun for that one. Their way too expensive to tolerate anything but first rate customer service. And you need to tell that goober what he can do with his "light load kit". That is not an item that is advertised as needed to fulfill their claims of "2 3/4 inch to 3 1/5 inch" capability. As much as I loved mine (had to sell it :() I wouldn't tolerate that crap.

Brett/IL 05-29-2004 03:47 PM

I purchased mine in 1998 and had heard of similar problems. When I read my owners manual before I started to shoot it, I found that it stated something to the effect of, "To insure reliable feeding, make sure the first 100 rnds. through the gun are 1 1/4 oz. or heavier." That is not an exact quote, but it is close. In other words, run 100 high brass loads through it, then shoot what you want. That is exactly what I did and mine functioned flawlessly for over 15,000 rounds of 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells.

outdoorsmen 05-29-2004 05:21 PM

you're not supposed to shoot anything lighter 1 1/8 oz loads. I have never had any problems with any of my benelli's.

cwhitenton 05-30-2004 04:50 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I'll give the 100 rd break-in a try.

BENOUTHUNTIN 05-31-2004 03:18 PM

The same claim was made about my Franchi 912. It rocks with 3 and 3 1/2. I wish that they would not make such claims if all of the guns won't do it. Let me know if it works. After shooting 1000 rounds of 3 1/2 last season, I would hope it would finally shoot my skeet loads.