HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Recoil and stock configuration (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/61999-recoil-stock-configuration.html)

fisherprice1 05-24-2004 07:30 AM

Recoil and stock configuration

I am going to buy a Tikka 300 WSM. I reciently shot a Winchecter model 70 in 7MM. It was the lowest recoil 7mm I have ever shot. The owner said it has to do with the straight stock and that a Monte Carlo would kick alot more. Is this right? I'm a little worried the 300 WSM will kick to much in the lite rifle.

oldelkhunter 05-24-2004 07:35 AM

RE: Recoil and stock configuration

All things equal about the guns one with less drop at the heel will have less apparent recoil. If your going from a Winchester model 70 7wsm 7 1/4 lbs roughly to a Tikka T3 in 300 wsm 6 1/2 roughly you will definitely feel the difference in recoil. You do realize that buying the Tiika you are getting a long actioned gun not a short action like the other manufacturers ?

Danny45 05-24-2004 10:52 AM

oldelkhunter is right. The more drop at the heel there is, the more the rifle butt wants to jump up during recoil. And this drives the Monte Carlo cheekpiece into your face more. For hard kicking calibers, the straighter the stock is, the better off you are regardless of whether or not there is a cheek piece. And yes, the 300 WSM in a 6.5 pound rifle is gonna kick a bunch. He also brings up a good point. Tikka only has one action size in the T-3.

fisherprice1 05-24-2004 11:08 AM

Does it really make a diference if there is a short or long action?

oldelkhunter 05-24-2004 11:58 AM

Tiika sure loves the one size fits all it makes their bottom line look better. No need to cycle a bolt anymore then needed is my theory and its a workaround to the solution of a short cartridge. Their Parent company makes 4 action lengths and one especially for the WSM's.

fisherprice1 05-24-2004 04:11 PM

Thanks. The parent company is Beretta. They make 4 actions but only in the Sako. Would you buy the Sako over the Tikka? Why?

jgttechjunkie 05-27-2004 05:33 PM

Some people claim that if you are ever going to hunt dangerous game with a bolt action in one of the heavy calibers, you should be careful of using a short action in your every day hunting - just so when you are under severe stress you don't instinctively short cycle.

There are others who say that the older style stocks, essentially designed for iron sights, actually lessen felt recoil because some of the punch is directed up rather than back into your shoulder. These people think that the straighter stock theory is an American affliction. I don't know, but I sure am glad when I shoot a single action revolver in anything over 44 mag that it swivels up in my hand. All my rifles have straight high comb stocks, I have never tested the let her roll up point of view.