HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   What trigger pull do you like for a hunting rifle. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/61506-what-trigger-pull-do-you-like-hunting-rifle.html)

burniegoeasily 05-17-2004 08:27 AM

What trigger pull do you like for a hunting rifle.

I have set my triggers to 3.5 lbs. What weight do you like?

JagMagMan 05-17-2004 08:31 AM

RE: What trigger pull do you like for a hunting rifle.

Burnie,
3.5 is what my hunting rifles are set at also.
My Gunsmith will not go any lower on a hunting gun!
Since going down to 3.5, my groups have really shrunk at the range!

Mykey 05-17-2004 09:52 AM

My hunting rifle triggers are breaking at about 3.2lbs with the exception of one that breaks at 3lbs. I personally wouldn't want to go any lower than that on a hunting rifle.

Worc 05-17-2004 09:59 AM

I like them between 3.5lbs and 4lbs. For me the amount of creep in a trigger is more important than weight. If it's not breaking clean, a light trigger won't be at it's full potential.

Nomercy 05-17-2004 10:02 AM

Depends on what "hunting" I'll be doing with it. On my hunting revolvers, I like about 2.5#, pretty light I know, but there's so much more chance of "PULLING" the trigger altering your shot in a handgun than in a rifle (as opposed to squeezing the trigger).

For long range varmint hunting, I use my Savage 12FVSS, set down to 1.6#, it doubles as a small bore cf benchrest rifle, I just never change the trigger, a little heavy for targets, a little light for hunting, does both pretty well.

I've got a few deer rifles that I've not changed the trigger pull a bit on, I've got a Marlin 1894 and 1895 unaltered that run around 5.5-6.5#, I've got a SKS I hunt with occasionally that's about 7# and a Ruger M-77 about that bad too. I usually don't mind heavy trigger pulls, I've got a .38spcl derringer with a 14.2# pull...building fence all these years has left me with a pretty strong grip, it's just remembering to squeeze instead of pull.

I've got a Anschutz taken down to 7oz. too!!!

Doe Dumper 05-17-2004 11:15 AM

My gunsmith wouldnt go under 3.5 either. My groups shrunk drastically as well when I had em lowered from stock settings. I think I am most grateful for the elimination of that mile of creep they used to have. Hard to do a good squeeze when ya got an inch of creep. So 3.5 is what all of mine are set on now. I love it.

Vapodog 05-17-2004 11:34 AM

I'm fine at 3.5 pounds

Aught Six 05-17-2004 12:49 PM

I like 3½ lbs. (my 700 ADL is set to this), but I'm OK with 4. As long as it's crisp, it's fine enough. My Mosin Nagant has a creepy 8 lb. pull, which is pretty awful.

oldelkhunter 05-17-2004 01:19 PM

For a long range heavy rifle I like 2-2.5 lbs for anything else 3.0 or so is fine. Different brands of rifles will feel heavier/lighter then others irregardless of trigger pull so each brand is subjective.

bugsNbows 05-17-2004 02:14 PM

3.5 lbs is about right for me.