Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Still trying to decide... >

Still trying to decide...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Still trying to decide...

Old 05-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still trying to decide...

I'd vote for the 270 WSM. All of your choices are indeed good but here is why I selected the .270WSM:
1). There are 11 factory loads (by Winchester and Federal) from 130-150gr. currently available. Bullet choices vary from Ballistic Silvertips, Boat tails, Barnes X, Accubond, Bearclaw and Power Points. This is all you could ever need.
2). The average velocities of the .270 WSM bullets are about 200 fps second faster than the .270Win. However, at the longer distances, the WSM delivers more energy (up to 350-400 ft.lbs) without measurable recoil differences. The WSM is a little flatter also... albeit not that much!
3). The short actioned .270 WSM is a good in-between choice (.270Win. .270 WSM, .270 Wby Mag).
4). Rifle selection for the WSM's is good and getting better. The new Kimber 8400's look nice but are hard to get. Winchester, Browning, Ruger, Savage, Howa, Tikka, etc. all have good offerings.

Well, enough said. Have fun with your decision. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

thanks again for the help... i am thinking about the .270 WSM more seriously now... i also have an opportunity to pick up a .338 fairl cheap, which is part of the reason i voted the .280 out... thanks again...
Old 05-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've haven't fooled around with any of the WSM's or the 280 for that matter.I have a couple 270 Wins. For deer I have a hard time finding any better.The 7mm RM is another fine cartridge and ammo can be found anywhere if needed.I'm sure the WSM's are fine cartridges.The 270 Win has proven to me many times,it can do the job when needed.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

280 for sure!!
Old 05-16-2004, 08:13 PM

I don't want anybody to take this the wrong way. But I just don't see the reason for the WSM's, the WSSM's, the SAUM's, or the RUM's. There are plenty of cartridges out there that will do everything that these will. So what if a WSM will give you 1 inch less drop at 300 yards. If you know your firearm and cartridge the way you should, you'd compensate for that 1" (which in my mind isn't enough to worry about). And the deer or whatever doesn't really care if it's hit with 500 ft/lbs of energy, or 700 ft/lbs. If you make a bad shot, and shoot a Moose at 400 yards while it's quartering away and hit it in the rear leg, maybe the extra 200 ft/lbs of energy will help, but come on.

I don't begrudge anybody buying all the firearms they want. I think that's great if you can afford it. But I think the manufacturers have gotten into the mind set that "if we build it, they will come".

I'm always open for debate, so if someone can tell me what's so great about a .270 WSM, I'm all ears. And you can compare it to the .270 Winchester if you want, but I'll counter with the 7mm Remington Magnum. And if you counter with the 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum, I'll counter with the 300 Winchester or 338 Winchester Magnums.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Look at the ballistic charts. The 270 & 7mm-08 are almost one in the same.
I would get the 7mm-08, many ammo combinations if you handload and combined with reduced recoil this becomes a gun you will shoot often and therefore shoot well
Old 05-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Danny45,
I don't have any use for the new WSM, WSSM, SAUM or RUM's either! There are too many fine calibers that are proven and established, and will do anything the newbe's do, and cheaper too!
I'll also stand by what I've said in other posts, some of these newbe's are not going to make it! Maybe a couple of them will, but I still don't need one! Some are reported to be selling like hot cakes, that is now, what about 5 years down the road, when the fad has faded?
Give me the tried and true, and as Danny said, I can counter any newbe that you can name!
My choice for this particular thread? .280 Remington!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

am looking at Browning A-bolt rifles and trying to decide between .270 win , .270 WSM, and .280 Rem. I love the flat trajectory of all of these cartrages. I like the .270 due to the availaility of ammo in both cartrages. that's what i don't like about the .280, it's a little harder to find... but i like the .280 due to its ability to shoot a heavier load in case the opportunity presents itself that i might be able to hunt big game... my question is mainly etween the .270 WSM and the .280... which packs more punch? thanks for the help...
Give me the tried and true, and as Danny said, I can counter any newbe that you can name!
My choice for this particular thread? .280 Remington!

I am wagering you don't own one with your dim view of it so how are you going to counter it?

Had (3) 280 Remington bolt guns all with 24" barrels and 1 Ruger 1b with a 26" barrel ..the only one that would come close to velocities mentioned in any reloading manual was the Ruger. This also applies to factory ammo velocities and using what was available Remington 140 grain corelockts and Hornady ammo and Federal Premium HE trophy bonded bullets. DOn't be surprised to see no more 280 anything for sale in five years and I think the round would be a terrible choice for a new rifle . WSM's are new and so is the tooling at the factory so the brass is substantially better then regular brass and because of the case design you will not have to be doing much trimming after shooting it awhile.

Now I have owned/own three rifles chambered in short mags 300 wsm and the 7 wsm. The 7 wsm will shoot 3150's all day long with their bottom line 150 grain powerpoint bullet factory load that one can easily find in a Walmart . Try finding 280 rem ammo in a Walmart . Its not getting any better since the major manufacturers keep reducing 280 factory offerings on a yearly basis. BTW my handloaded Remington 700 custom shop 24" barrelled KS 7 rem mag will shoot 3100-3150 with a max load out of the Hornady manual . Oh I guess I could squeeze that 7 rem mag a little more and get 3200 or so out of it but it seeems pretty paltry compared to the same length barrel and factory ammo of a 7wsm.

In short if you have a 7 rem mag you like a 270 win mag you like use it no reason to trade for a short mag. If however you are looking for a new gun don't listen to hearsay from people that don't own them or even worse listen to gun writers . Buy one and try it out and learn from your experiences.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:26 PM

I shoot a Ruger 280 and i have found locally the ammo is really competitve, i have used my 280 on everything from antelope to elk and i have never had a problem with the caliber. I have no experience with the short magnums but our hunting friends all use 270's and love them to death, most of it is just personal preference.