Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I Need A Pistol >

I Need A Pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I Need A Pistol

Old 05-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Default RE: I Need A Pistol

EAA witness(CZ 75 clone) for around $350 is a nice gun. I have one in 45acp thats ported and am very happy with it. I have a full size wonder finish. The ruger is a nice gun I have a 93 and my dad has an 89 and both are nice pistols. The Glock is a sweet gun but by me they start at $500 ($400 for a used cop turn in junk). I would love a kimber or Colt gold cup but I cant justify the price they want for them.
Jay
Old 05-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the money you can't beat Ruger.If you can afford a little more look at the Glock's.The Sigs are pricey but are very reliable guns.If you can shoot different guns and see which one feels good to you.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

The new Springfield XD is not .45acp...it is .45GAP. Got the catalog sitting right in front of me. I could not have been more dissappointed[&o], I really wanted one in .45acp[>:]
Old 05-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mlaubner

The new Springfield XD is not .45acp...it is .45GAP. [>:]

That tells me right now I wouldn't one of those XD's.Before I would ever consider a 45GAP I would want to see if it's going along the wayside in short order. With all the 45 ACP's out there it would be a foolish move buying a GAP.The 10mm really never did much and I think the 45GAP will follow it in the 10's footsteps.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-16-2004, 02:05 PM

I would agree with several other people that the Ruger is definitely the best buy for the money. Very reliable and will last a long time.

But, you will need to try it and see if it fits your hands. It is not a small gun. Neither is the Beretta .45, but I like it also.

If you can afford a little more, look at the Kimbers. They make some very nice pistols with lots of nice features for just a little more cash than most companies regular guns.

Have fun choosing, and remember, if you find one you like better later that just gives you reason to buy another!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't want to spend alot, I would go with a Springfield Milspec 1911-A1. Its a really well made pistol and I almost bought one myself- I ended up spending about $200 more for a loaded model because I really wanted the beavertail safety and Novak sights which would have cost me well over $200 to upgrade to.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:08 PM

If your hand will hold it, go with a Glock in .45 You might want to try night sights also. Good luck
Old 06-14-2004, 03:33 AM

Although the 1911 model guns are great I would not recomend them for a home defense gun for the inexperienced shooter, not that there is anything wrong with them in any way. Its because they need to be kept cocked in order to get off the first shot, in the heat of the moment chances are that will be forgotten. (i'm assuming that it will be kept chambered) I would go with the sig or the glock simply because they do not have an external safety feature, and are very reliable. They do however have very reliable internal safety features and if droped or banged against anything probably will not go off unlike some cocked model 1911's,
From my experience though I would not recomend a pistol to anyone that is looking strickly for a home defense weapon unless they have extensive experience in pistol shooting, I will guarantee you that if you are just awoke and find yourself in a stressfull situation that you will not hit your target as a novice pistol shooter. I would recomend a shotgun.............
Old 06-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Like sir_roco said shot gun. a load of bird shot at close range is devestating but won't penetrate those thin appartment walls, a .45 on the other hand will travel through several of them.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:44 PM

I will agree with the last two fellows. If you have ever shot a pistol, you will be aware of the technicalities involved when holding steady, lining the sights up on target, and controlling recoil. A load of #6 or so shot from a shotgun at 10 to 15 yards will easily blow up a rotted stump, (We tried this about a month ago, all I can say is Hee Hee, what a hoot!) Imagine this inside closed walls! And as said above, is not as likely to penetrate walls. Besides, just the mere presentation of a scattergun, let alone that sweet sound that only comes from cycling the action of a pump, is enough to scare the bejesus out of anyone!

Quick Reply: I Need A Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.