HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   going to the grave yard? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/60696-going-grave-yard.html)

rednex90 05-04-2004 04:51 PM

going to the grave yard?

what are your take on the 7mm magnum do think it will last or not because i want to get one and dont reload and i dont want to get stuck with a gun with hard to come by ammo .

ps. what grain would you sugest for bear hunting with 7mm mag

hunter338 05-04-2004 04:56 PM

RE: going to the grave yard?

IT'S A KEEPER!!!!

Ammo is plentiful and easy to get. I personally dont see it going anywhere. Its a very good cal.

Just my opinion though.
Hunter338

Danny45 05-04-2004 05:14 PM

It's been around long enough that it's firmly entrenched. Now the 7mm Ultra Mag, and the 7mm WSM, well, we'll have to wait and see.

rednex90 05-04-2004 07:22 PM

yea i just wanted some opinions because i didnt want to get stuck with one that you cant find ammo for

Vapodog 05-04-2004 07:50 PM

The 7MM Rem Mag is as stable as the rock of Gibralter....if that cartridge becomes obsolete you can count on a lot of others going bunk as well.it's as stable as the .270 and .30-06 IMO

Rangerlab 05-05-2004 07:30 AM

The 7mm Rem Mag will still be around long after most of us have checked out. I would be a little leary of most of the new 7mm Mags on the market right now. Remington is already dropping loads from it's 7mm Ultra Mag line.

Ruger-Redhawk 05-07-2004 11:46 AM

The 7mm Rem Mag was introduced back in 1962.If it wasn't going to survive it would have disappeared a long time ago.It's a very common cartridge and not likey to vanish anytime in the near future.There are allot of new cartridges to compete against the 7mm RM.It will hold it's own against any of them.I wouldn't hesitate a second buying a time proven 7mm RM.

Ruger Redhawk

oldelkhunter 05-07-2004 12:14 PM

No problems buying one ..ammo /guns/components are all easy to get and will remain that way for a long time after we are in the ground pushing up daisies. I base this on the sheer number of 7 Rem mags sold since the 60's. I imagine these days their sales are in a decline and are starting to feel the bite of the 270 and 7WSM .

burniegoeasily 05-07-2004 12:16 PM

It has been tried and tested. It will be around for a while. Dont worry about getting ammo. As for a bear cartriage, it will work and make a good all around gun for other game, but I would tend to go with something a little bigger. 300, 338, or 375 may be and at least a 180 to the 200 grain bullets. Just a suggestion. Either way, the 7mm mag will do just fine. Im a fond believer in the 30s and dont own a 7mm but have shot a few. I really like the 7mm rum. Very flat shooter.

cwhitenton 05-07-2004 02:26 PM

A simple rule of thumb Rednex, if Wal-Mart carries the ammo then it's not going anywhere! LOL :D