Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Scope? Leupold or Burris >

New Scope? Leupold or Burris

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Scope? Leupold or Burris

Old 04-26-2004, 03:30 PM

Default New Scope? Leupold or Burris

I'm having second thoughts...........

I recently ordered a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with the Boone and Crocket Reticle but it looks like it will be a while before their available in Canada. My other choice was a Burris Signature Select 3-12x44 with a balistic plex reticle.

Any one have experience with either scope/reticle? Should I wait for the Leupold or buy the Burris?

Let me know and thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: New Scope? Leupold or Burris

If its for a 340wbymag, I might reconsider the burris. I tried burris on my 300RUM, and I need more eye relief for that gun. I stick with leupold. For guns like 270win or so, nothing wrong with burris but customer service sucks. Also the burris's don't have near the dynamic range for long range with target turrets. I think you have only 17MOA or so of range, so to ultilize alot of adjustment, the scope has to set just right in the rings. I had to buy the signature series rings with inserts to do this.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

run far away from BURRIS[:'(]
Old 04-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

run far away from BURRIS

Any scope that needs an additonal crutch to keep in zero(Posi-Lock) is very questionable. I have had 6 of them and only happy with 1 and I ended up selling that one .
Old 04-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

340, I had the same problem with a VX-II 2-7 I had ordered from a local store. After 6 weeks of waiting I canceled the order. Ended up going to the states and picking up the VX-II 3-9 for allot less then what they were asking for in town.... I have no ex perience with Burris or the reticles you mentioned so I can’t compare but I’m very pleased with the Leupold scopes I have, all thought I do have a Nikon scope and I’m very impressed on how clear and bright it is.... Good luck\
Old 04-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Boy I wish I would have seen this post sooner. I just put a burris Fullfield 3-9x with the Ballistic plex on my Rem 700 .270. I took off the old Bushnell Scopechief IV.
Oh well It could have been worse. I was thinking about putting it on My Ruger 77 .300 WM. Sure glad I didn't after reading these replies.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:31 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm putting it on a new Sako 75 SS in 300 Wby, downsizing a bit.

Looks like I'll continue to sit on the Leupold?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:25 AM
bigcountry

Sounds like a good choice. One thing I can say about the burris signature target I had, was it was clear. If they would beef up thier customer service instead of arrogant, don't want to hear your problem people, then design the scopes with more eye relief, and design them so they are not so long, I believe they would be right there with leupold. None of this (optics) is voodoo. It is known science, that have to do with shape of lenses, f-factors, focal lengths, all old engineering. I am sure they build thier scopes the way they do for ease of manufacturing or possible patents by other companies and there is a pile of patents.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:48 PM

Anyone favor a 30mm tube over a 1" tube. Was looking at a Leupold Euro Vari-X III today and it was quite impressive,

Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:24 PM
eck

FWIW, I've got a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 40mm on a .300WSM shooting 180 gr. Fail Safes... and I've had nothing but good experience with it thus far. Admittedly, I've only had it for two seasons... but absolutely no problems... and I sure like the brightness and how easily I can acquire the correct sight picture.

No problem with eye relief either.

And it has the Ballistic Plex reticle, which I like as well.

Quick Reply: New Scope? Leupold or Burris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.