Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what kind of slugs do you shoot? >

what kind of slugs do you shoot?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what kind of slugs do you shoot?

Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what kind of slugs do you shoot?

im just curious but what sort of shotgun slugs are ya`ll shooting and how do you like them? im shooting lightfield commander ids they seem to shoot very well all ive done with them so far is target shoot to see how my gun did with them but they pattern very well and im happy with the performance but the price leaves a little to be desired there $13.50 for a box of 5 at the local store and in my book thats pretty steep so i dont shoot to many of them just what i have to. but what do ya`ll shoot?and what sort of slug gun are you shooting? i just have a mossberg 500 with a 22" fully rifled and ported barrel it shoots pretty good though

sean
Old 04-26-2004, 03:05 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: what kind of slugs do you shoot?

2.75" 1oz copper solids works the best in my browning gold sluggun. 2" groups at 100 yards consistently. Won't shoot the 3" worth a darn, and won't shoot the super flat 385gr either. Will shoot lightfields 3" groups, but I don't like the terminal performance at long range.

2.75" 1oz federal hydroshocks in my 870 with rifled slug barrel works the best over them all. It also won't shoot any of the 3" very well. Also shoots lightfields very well also.

I really wanted the remington 385 coreloks to work since they are so flat shooting. But I could not get them to group worth a darn. Whats the use of good downrange energy if you can't group them long range.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the winchester 1 oz 12 ga 2 3/4" lead rifled slugs thru a custom cylinder bore 19" barrel. 50 Yard groups with iron sights are sufficient to hit 12 oz beverage cans consistantly. I sure don't consider it more than a 100 yard gun if that but it's awesome at 50-75 yards!!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM

just plain old 2 3/4 winchesters in my 20 ga wingmaster.

bought a SBE 2 seasons ago and have been using 3inchers and i cant hit a damn thing; well thats not totally true, but ti'm a much better shot with the 20 gauge.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:12 PM

i shoot the winchester BRI's they seem to do the job very well. the only thing i didn't like about them was expansion i've killed two deer w/ them in the two years i've been using them and hit both deer in the shoulder and the exit wound was just as small as teh entranche wound. but i did get good blood trails and teh lungs were totally liquidified(sp?)
Old 04-26-2004, 06:14 PM

Winchester rifled slugs in 12 ga 2 3/4 in
Old 04-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use Winchester Super-X 2¾" 1 oz. rifled slugs out of my Remington 870 Wingmaster with an improved cylinder choke.

P.S. My groups run about 4" to 5" at 75 yards. At 50 I can keep them all within 3".
Old 04-27-2004, 07:31 AM
bigcountry

Ok, guys can anyone get the super fast 385gr slugs or 3" mags to shoot or am I the only one with bad luck with them.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know what grain any of my slugs are but all i ever shoot is 3" shells and they do really well i havent tried shooting many 2 3/4" slugs maby they`d do better? but i just like having that little bit of extra powder/lead incase i need it
Old 04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
bigcountry

When you say really well, what do ya mean? I can get 5" groups with 3" mags, but for 100yard shots from a tree stand, that is not good enough for me.

Quick Reply: what kind of slugs do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.