HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   338 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/59832-338-win-mag-300-weatherby.html)

RDJ 04-25-2004 11:11 AM

338 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby

I am interested in comparing the accuracy of the 338 Win Mag vs the 300 Weatherby. If I buy the 338, it will more than likely be a Sako 75 SS. As for the 300 Wtby I would consider the Sako or the Accumark. Both are pricey, but I decided that with my next gun price would not be an issue, I just want the best gun I can get for moose and elk hunting. I currently have a 7mm Rem Mag and will never get rid of this gun. It has shot plenty of bull elk for me, but I thought I would try something bigger for those 400-500 yard shots that sometimes have to be made. I realize that within 300 yards the 338 will be just as effective as a 300 weatherby, but I sometimes worry about the accuracy of the 338 when we get into the 400-500 yard range. I have no doubt about it's knockdown ability at that range, but as I mentioned, is the accuracy as dependable as the 300 weatherby at that range? I also worry about the freebore in the weatherby. Will this affect the accuracy? Especially if I am not handloading and will have to buy the expensive weatherby factory ammo. Just to throw more into the mix for comparisons, I have also been looking at the 300 remington ultra mag lately and find it's ballistics very comparable to weatherby, however I am not sure if I want a Remington rifle. But the Sendero sounds like an impressive rifle that may rival the Sako and Weatherby. I would consider this calibre in the Sako, but I have heard that Sako is no longer making the 300 RUM. All feedback is appreciated.

MadBomber 04-25-2004 11:27 AM

RE: 338 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby

This is a tough decision, you can either choose big knock-down power with good accuracy (338) or great accuracy with added knock-down power (300). This all depends on where in the US u will be using the gun and how open the terrain is. Also a added factor will be the type of game you are going to use this gun for.

Vapodog 04-25-2004 11:52 AM

Accuracy is dependent on the quality and craftmanship in the rifle, the quality and match to the rifle of the ammunition and lastly the skills of the shooter. There is absolutely no evidence that a .300 is more accurate than a .338 mag.....

As long as you're not hunting dangerous game (big bears) the power levels of each cartridge is equivalent to the other. Flip a coin.

At this point I'd recommend a custom rifle. Find an older Remington BDL, Sako, Win-70, Howa,whatever trips your trigger and have it fitted with a Lilya, Hart, Shilen.....etc barrel and bedded in a McMillan or Bordon Rimrock stock. Blueprint the action and install your favorite Leupold scope and head for the range.

I'd consider the .300 Weatherby because it's a little more versatile but the ..338 mag is also a fine big game round.

stubblejumper 04-25-2004 02:02 PM

There is no clear answer here.It depends on the game and conditions that you will hunt.If you don't handload I would choose the 300win mag over the 300wby due to the much better selection of factory rounds.If you do handload,I would go with the 300ultramag as it does offer a little more velocity with similar recoil to the 300wby.

popeye 04-25-2004 04:39 PM

If you have the time to practice and the skill to make those 400-500yd you mentioned I would probably go with the 300Wby over the 338. The flatter trajectory of the Weatherby would take some of the guess work out of those long shots. If you had a 300yd limit then I would back the 338, hard to beat those larger, heavier bullets from 300yards and closer..

James B 04-25-2004 04:56 PM

For shooting game at that range I think your 7 mag is as good as anything. Never been in a position where I HAD to take a shot like that. My shots are always my choice.

cherokee_outfitters 04-25-2004 05:37 PM

accuracy depends on the rifle's and loads quality. If the 338 mag is accurate at a 100yds then it will probaly accurate out to as far as you can shoot it. The thing would boil down to tajectory between the two. They both have optimum energy. The 300 weatherby would give you a flatter trajectory. The down side to it is the price of the cartridges.

handloader1 04-25-2004 11:15 PM

Obtain the best of both cartridges, and go for Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .340 Wby. Mag., or a Sako 75 Hunter or Sako 75 Deluxe Rifle in .340 Wby. Mag.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Sporter in .340 Wby. Mag., and it will shoot three shot groups under .50" at 100 yds. as long as I do my part. It dosen't seem the freebore has had negative affects on the rifle.

Good luck.

oldelkhunter 04-26-2004 06:41 AM

RDJ -- go to Accuratereloading and look at the Medium Bore Forum.. on page 2 there is a SEndero vs Sako thread. Look at the targets one of the posters put on view his name is POP its a .675 5 shot target at 300 yards with a 300 ultramag Sako 75 SS. That should be all you need to see.

bigcountry 04-26-2004 08:34 AM

Yea, but pop also said his 700 LSS did .5" groups and now after selling it to another AR member, he says the Sako is a much more accurate gun.

I am not a big Weatherby guy. I just don't like the freebore. Yea, I have seen accurate ones, but the ones I have worked up loads for are very hard to find a good load for. I like the 300RUM much better. No belt and less freebore. I also am a 338win mag fan. Either one is great.