Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinions on a New Pistol >

Opinions on a New Pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on a New Pistol

Old 04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opinions on a New Pistol

I'm looking to purchase a new pistol for the range and self-defense, I'm looking to spend up to $500.00. Any suggestions with prices would be appreciated. I've looked at a Ruger P93 .40, but would like opinions on different models with advantages and disadvantages. Also any nice mods for pistols, this will be my first and would like to make it a good one.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 PM

Default RE: Opinions on a New Pistol

For that kind of money I would take a look at the Smith and Wesson Sigma series. They come in either .40 S&W and 9mm. I got one for a discounted price, but they usually go for about $400. Better yet, they are an exact replica of a Glock, so much so that Smith and Wesson was sued by Glock over the design.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

The Ruger is an allright pistol. The S&W Sigma is an allright pistol. Both have long heavy triggers though. If you are looking to spend around five hundred dollers on a pistol you might as well look at spending anouther 150 to 200 dollers on a nice one. You might look at the SIG or even the H&K modle pistols.

To me if Im going to buy something, I wasnt to buy something that is worth the money.( Then again I own two Kimber pistols that I personally dont think one could ever buy something so BEAUTIFULLLLLLL and SMOOOOTH.)

Just my opinion
Leroy
Old 04-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I would look at Steyr or CZ. Very reasonably priced and come in most calibers. Around here the S&W don't hold value at all from what i have been told. i was at two different gun shops and both of the owners said why spend the extra $100. Don't know why, but the comment was they aren't as good as the name intends. I had a S&W and it was a fine pistol but just repeating what they said. Whatever you do, find a pistol that fits you. That is more important than the brand as far as i am concerned. I like Glock pistols but they don't feel comfortable in my hand. Sigs did, but at the cost of $800.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Springfield XD-9 or XD-40.
I've shot the XD-9 and was very impressed with it- very nice trigger pull and very solidly made.
Other advantages:
-Can use XD-40 mags in XD-9 as high capacity mags.
-When AWB ends, you can bet that SA will be cranking out hi-cap magazines as fast as they can- Ruger will never make a Hi-cap magazine that is available to us serfs.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

I own a Sig P 232 380 for carrying and it is an awsome gun but it is not a range gun. If I had the money I would buy a Sig, HK, Kimber or Wilson. If not I like to shoot my Ruger P89 9mm, Cheaper than dirt has 15 round clips for $13 and 30 round clips for $18. You can buy 1000 rounds of wolf ammo for around $100 and have fun. I have 5 Ruger guns and I love them all.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Typical Buck

like semi said, find the ones that "fit" you first. go to a gunshop and handle all of the ones that they have in or out of your price range. You may decide to wait and save up a little more cash to spend on the one that feels the best to you. As for which brand that'll fit your needs, there are just about too many to list. So, do your homework and go from there.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:16 AM

Hello, since you are looking to spend $500 or less I guess the kimber, Wilson, H&k, Sig, and most Glocks are out of the question. I was where you are 7 years ago, on a budget wanting a pistol. My first pistol was a S&W Sigma 40 cal 2 tone. This gun is a defensive gun Period. My trigger pull is 8lbs but the newer ones have a more user friendly trigger pull plus a sight rail. This pistol is a light weight and a nice size to carry if you ever need to. I have fired over 3500 rounds through it.

Recently while field stripping it I did not have the slide on correctley and broke the striker assembly(I was in a hurry to clean it and I should have slowed down). I called S&W and sent it FedEX for repair on thursday and got it back the next tuesday(5 days). They cleaned the whole gun(areas that you cant get to) and even test fired it. I did not pay for shipping, parts or the repair. When they say lifetime warrenty they mean it.

I also have a EAA witness full size 45 acp ported. This is a CZ clone is a actualy under priced for the quality you get( they are made in Italy by Tanfoglio). I have fired over 2000 rounds through this one and no problems, still looks new. These guns have a nice feel, Target type trigger, and are very accurate.

My dad and brother have rugers(89, 93DC) and both guns are nice. A friend of mine has a Taurus and loves it. The nice thing about older Taurus guns is that its actualy a Beretta(Taurus bought the old Beretta factory and tooling). Stay away from cheap, junk, throw away guns like High point. My old boss bought one for $130, fired 60 rounds in it and it broke. I would go to the store and see what feels right in your hand. Caliber wise I would buy a 40 S&W or 9mm as the ammo is cheap. I personaly would stay away from calibers like 357 sig or 45 GAP. There is nothing wrong with them its just not as cheap to shoot.

Have fun shopping
Jay
Old 04-23-2004, 09:20 AM

I would buy a Glock model 23. its small and can be carried easy. its in a 40 cal. Very hard to beat a glock.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:02 AM

I'm a big Sig and Kimber fan, but like others have said, you'd have to dip a little deeper into your pockets.

Like Jay, I'd suggest a EAA Witness. You can get it in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. They are reliable, inexpensive, and I love their grip (reminds me of the Browning Hi-Power). You can get a choice of finishes. And all are under $500.00.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a New Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.