Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need help with info. on assault weapons ban >

Need help with info. on assault weapons ban

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help with info. on assault weapons ban

Old 04-16-2004, 08:44 AM

Default Need help with info. on assault weapons ban

I'm writing a paper in grad school on the policy implications of the assault weapons ban (it's history, path through congress, interest groups, etc.).

Anyone have any useful links to studies, articles, journals, etc.?

I know we all have opinions, but I'm looking for stuff I can use in a research paper.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Need help with info. on assault weapons ban

I have yet to see a valid desciption of a "assault weapon". If you figure it out, please post it for us.

Most people will say, "folding stock, bayanet lug, magazine capacity" etc. But you can remove the bayanet lug, put the barrelled action in a solid stock, and get magazines with less capacity. Does that make it any less a lethal weapon? I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone in the government has truly defined "assault weapon". Maybe that's intentional so they can come after your Remington 11-87 and Browning BAR's next.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:22 PM

www.senate.gov
www.house.gov
www.whitehouse.gov
www.issues2002.org
www.nra.org
www.gunownersofamerica.org

For academic journals, I would try Lexis Nexis online, or if your school library has an online database of journa articles, like academic search premier, give that a try. Also, Lexis Nexis Congressional, FedStats, and LegalTrac are good ones. Good luck man.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:51 PM

I've been to most of those websites.

Want to get pissed?

Take a look at some of the "names" this bill was given to garner support from citizens:

Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Act of 1994
Safe Streets for Women Act of 1994
Child Safety Act
National Child, Elderly, and Individuals With Disabilities Protection Act of 1993

...and there are more. Talk about re-defining the issue. Crazy.

thomas.loc.gov

103rd Congress, HR 3355
Old 04-16-2004, 05:02 PM

Try this one:

http://www.atf.gov/pub/treas_pub/ass...fles/index.htm

Good Luck Aggie
Old 04-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

When this paper is finished, will you post it? I would really like to read what you have gathered.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-16-2004, 10:56 PM

When that ban first went into effect I was working on a research paper on gun control, and I looked up "assault weapon" in a dictionary and as I remember the definition inlcuded that it was a selective fire weapon. And I think it was a Webster's dictionary...But again, lets not try to accuse our lawmakers of being intellegent beings....
Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ASSAULT: 1. 1 a : a violent physical or verbal attack b : a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
2 a : a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact -- compare BATTERY 1b b : RAPE

WEAPON: 1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2 : a means of contending against another

ASSAULT WEAPON: : any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms;

If a person has to offensively cause another person harm in order to assault them and the instrument used in the assault becomes a weapon that injures the person the way I see it anything can become an assault weapon when it is used in an assault but the only thing listed under assault weapon in Websters are firearms.

Until an assault actually occurs and there is actually a weapon used in the assault there can not be an assault weapon. But then your hands instantly become assault weapons. Guess the government should cut them off your arms.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sturmgewehr-44 : Translates to "assault rifle" fielded by the Germans during WWII. The first select fire sub caliber rifle which is the technological predecessor of todays military rifles including the AK-47, FAL, and AR-15 type rifles.

A semiauto is NOT an assault rifle as it lacks a selector for full auto or burst fire. The name has been hijacked by anti-gun politicians to demonize popular rifles.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Host of Hosts

Try Gun Facts 3.0 it is full of useful information for writing papers for school or doing other research.

http://www.patriots-of-the-republic....Facts~ns4.html

Here is the definition of Assault Weapons:
From Gun Facts:

The authorative source is the Department of Defence Small Arms Identification and Operations Guide: Assault rifle is defined as 'short,compact, select-fire weapons that fires a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges"-i.e. a machine gun.

Firearms often referred to as "assault weapons" have no greater firepower than hunting rifles or handguns. They are style to look like military weapons, but have no greater killing capacity than other civilian weapons.

For a well documented overview of how "assault weapons are protected by the Second Amendment, as well as discourse on why gun registration is barred by the Constitution, see Brian Puckett's article at http://www.guntruths.com/ titled "why I WILL NOT obey California'sGun Registration Act"

Quick Reply: Need help with info. on assault weapons ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.