Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Followup re deer rifle? >

Followup re deer rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Followup re deer rifle?

Old 04-12-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Followup re deer rifle?

I had an earlier post a couple of weeks ago about deer rifles. Rather than go out and buy a new rifle for getting back into whitetails this next deer season, I was thinking of upgrading my 30-30 Marlin model 336 and wanted to get some opinions.

The current configuration uses Kwik-Site see thru mounts and a basic Bushnell scope. The rifle and combo are about 20 years old but in good condition. Got it new one Christmas when I was 18. I have taken deer with it years ago but less than 100 yards, more like less than 75 yards, with one close to about 100 yards. The 5 deer I shot all dropped within 10 yards of where they were hit.

I acquired at a great price during a recent opportunity from a good reliable source, a new NIKON MONARCH 5.5-16.5X44mm AO scope. I was thinking of putting this scope on my Marlin, bore sighting it, and practicing at 50, 100, 150 and maybe up to 200 yards. In examining ballistics I believe the 150 grain bullets will give me better performance.

I was also thinking of adding a Limb Saver slip on recoil pad because I like the one on my turkey gun. I can handle the 30-30 recoil no problem but if I shoot a box of shells in practice it will come in handy.

I did search the Internet a lot before posting but really didn’t find much to help me.

Any comments on ammo? The choices for the 30-30 are fairly basic. I have been reviewing ballistics. Most certainly I won't be shooting tipped 30-30 ammo. I have seen some tipped ammo in the past only in catalogs and such. It seems like ammo is limited to 150 and 170 grain shells, soft or hollowpoint more or less.

Any comments on using the Kwik-Site see thru mount versus a standard quality scope mount? I have heard you might loose a little accuracy with the see-thru mounts but not sure exactly why (fact or fiction?).

It’s an interesting concept about using a scope that retails for more than the rifle. Also, I will not pull the trigger on any animal, unless I am as certain as possible, through practice, that I can put a round on target. A 150 yard deer could be possible in the area I will be hunting in North Texas. There are longer range shooting stands as well, but I believe it's best to keep it less than 150 if possible, but practice at the range will really show the capabilities. Shooting from a rest will be possible in these stands or shooting houses. I am also thinking of looking out for maybe like a Bushnell rangefinder, maybe the 500 Pro or something.

There's plenty of time before deer season so it will be an interesting experiment at least. I have shot targets at long range in the past with other folks rifles and done well. Breathing control and follow through are really important.

This rifle-scope combo is certain to draw some inquiries.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I took this bird April 4th in Montague County

Old 04-12-2004, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Followup re deer rifle?

I'd leave the marlin and the bushnell together and go shopping for a rifle mate for the Nikon Monarch, but hey that is just me!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto what EKM said. That Nikon is way way more scope that would ever be useful on a 30-30. Keep the Bushnell but loose the see thru mounts and get standard weaver style rings.

According to Federals charts they have a for the "power shock" the 30-30, sighted in at aproximately 1.5 inches high will give you a zero right at 150 yards and put you about 4 inches low at 200 yards. There is only .5 inch differance between the 150 grain and 170 grain bullets at 200 yards. At 200 yards they both will have right at 1,100 foot pounds of energy but the 170 grain bullet will have a bit more momentum to get in deeper.

Federal premium (vital shock) line loads a 170 grain Nosler partition at 2200 fps. It has about the exact same ballistics as the two loads above but retains a little more velocity and energy farther down range. At 200 yardsthe partition has just over 1200 foot pounds.

This is certainly adequate for deer size game at 200 yards and even 250 yards with the Nosler Partition.

If it were me I would be using Federals Premium 170 grain Nosler Partition and keeping the Bushnell scope or maybe purchasing a scope in a lower power range than the Nikon that you just bought. Perhaps a 2-8X or 2-7X which would be far more suitable than the Nikon
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second EKM's comment. A 16 power scope on a 30-30 is too much. Sounds like you have a prime opportunity to buy another gun to go with the scope. If you don't mind the recoil of that turkey gun anything in a 30-06 class will do you fine and mate that scope nicely.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:27 PM

I should have added the caveat to my first post that after this fall deer season my new scope will likely be moving on to a .308 or .30-06 caliber type gun. Call it a step by step approach. The thing is that this scope was what I was looking for in a scope. Now I am looking for the rifle that I can pick up and just feel that it's right (such as I did with the turkey gun in the photo). The attached photo was from second day turkey season.

I got a bird as well last Saturday as part of a double. My brother-in-law who I was more or less guiding got the first bird (new turkey hunter that I was introducing to the sport) and I called back in the second gobbler that was trailing behind but ran off a bit after the shot. I called him back in to a little over 40 yards and took him down using my Ithaca Turkeyslayer. Now my gun shoots well a bit farther but at the range I shot, I was well confident (from practice) by patterning in the load I was using. The bird went down cleanly.

I am looking for a bolt-action type rifle. I am looking for something with synthetic stock material and metal in stainless. There is something about the Browning A-bolts that catches my eye but I am not yet sure.

My Marlin-Nikon combo is not a long-term solution. In fact, if I go out on the range and cannot put a round where they ought to land I will either not go or find/buy a better alternative.

Yes it is unconventional. However if I put one of those 30-30 shells in a whitetailed deer, properly placed in a kill zone, at up to 200 yards, it's going down. The thing is I will have to know my ballistics and be very confident in my rifle from practice at the ranges I will be shooting.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I would comment on is the A.O. scope on a deer rifle even a 308 or a 30-06 doesn't sound like a good combo to me .
Old 04-12-2004, 11:24 PM

Please comment more....inquiring (and possibly stupid) minds want to know....

regarding this new scope and the likes of a .308

Also, is there a performance or quality issue with with the Kwik-Site mounts?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 AM

i would opt for the 308win 7mm-08rem. especially if you like the lever action look intot he BLR sereies.