Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Advice on Browning Bar - Please >

Advice on Browning Bar - Please

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Advice on Browning Bar - Please

Old 05-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Advice on Browning Bar - Please

Yes, Please don't chop off that stock. Get a replacement stock from Boyds stocks for less than $40.00. Keep the original stock as it is.
If it doesn't match the forend who cares. She is growing and it will not be on there forever.

http://boydboys.com/BrowseEbus/2piecebrowinng.asp
Old 05-01-2004, 03:38 PM

i second what bigbulls said. the belgium wooden stocks are very nice. i would either buy another replacement wood stock or a synthetic stock to chop down. just in case she does not like ti and you end up with it. or for selling down the road when she gets into another caliber/ action she perfers
Old 05-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never heard of anyone having a Browing BAR jam ever. I've had 3 of them 2 06's and a 7 rem mag and never had a malfunction at all with them. One didn't have the greatest trigger from the factory but that can be fixed when you buy the gun just select one with a decent trigger. My brother has a 7 Rem mag and he doesn't clean it anywhere to the level it requires and no problems with it at all and his favorite rifle. The same applies to his brother in law who owns a couple no problems there with them at all. I get a kick out of hearing how in extreme conditions a bolt is more reliable. I guess we should be outfitting our Soldiers with bolts instead of jamming autos that put their lives at risk.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

have never heard of anyone having a Browing BAR jam ever
I owned a bar II in 7mmremmag.In spite of being properly cleaned and maintained it did jam twice while hunting in cold wet weather.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:49 PM

I must be getting senile in my old age!! It never even occurred to me to keep the original stock in tact and replace it (possibly temporarily) with an inexpensive aftermarket. Thank you fellows for that suggestion and Bigbulls for the link. I also searched around a bit and find that Cabelas sell a Ram-Line synthetic for $80.00. I guess if the BAR had even a couple of marks on it I wouldn't feal so bad about chopping it but as it is it would be highly desirable not to spoil it. I know this gun is not the be all and end all - I've got more expensive and nicer stuff in my safe, but that said it's still a pretty nice piece and I'm hoping Cindy will appreciate it and enjoy it. Anyways here are a couple of pics and thanks again for the suggestion. gg.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stubblejumper ... Just because I have never seen a BAR jam doesn't mean they don't jam . I and a few other people have never had that happen....
Old 05-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just because I have never seen a BAR jam doesn't mean they don't jam
That was exactly my point.While BARs are much more reliable than the remington semi autos,they too will jam from time to time.