HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Pellet gun maker, What pellet gun do you shoot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/58321-pellet-gun-maker-what-pellet-gun-do-you-shoot.html)

Squirrelhunter91 04-08-2004 06:44 PM

Pellet gun maker, What pellet gun do you shoot?

i like Gamo products.... I shoot a Gamo Youth Hunter 640- 640 fps....
What pellet/bb gun do you shoot?

Briman 04-08-2004 07:08 PM

RE: Pellet gun maker, What pellet gun do you shoot?

I like my simple daisy pump up rifle for small pests. I use pointed pellets.

I really want to get a Drozd fully auto bb machine pistol though.:D

8mm/06 04-08-2004 07:11 PM

I have a .20 cal Sheridan

stubblejumper 04-08-2004 07:21 PM

I use a weihrauch hw-97 in .177".It is rated at 930fps and is extremely accurate.I have a leupold 3x9x33efr mounted on it.

diyj98 04-08-2004 07:29 PM

I prefer the higher quality airguns. I currently have a Finewerkbau 124 Deluxe, Beeman R9 in .177 and a RWS 52 in .22.

Ruger-Redhawk 04-08-2004 07:34 PM

Sheridan Blue Streak.20cal.
Ruger Redhawk

DearSlayer357 04-08-2004 08:43 PM

Gamo Shadow hunter 1000fps .177 cal with scope

pointerDixie214 04-08-2004 09:13 PM

i have two... a Remington Airmaster77 that pumps to 755 fps with a 3x20 BSA scope on it. I also shoot a Gamo Shadow 1000 that shoots 1000 fps and i have a Bushnell 3-9x40 on it... great gun... i use wadcutters in the Remington and Crow magnums or plain old pointer pellets in the Gamo.

Vapodog 04-08-2004 11:20 PM

RWS .177 at roughly 1,000'/sec.....it's really hard on the local pests.

diyj98 04-09-2004 09:03 AM

For you guys quoting velocity, if you haven't chronographed your rifles, you're in for a shock. The vast majority won't get anywhere near the factory quoated velocities. Airgun companies tend to find the lightest pellet they can get for velocity testing. Of course some companies just tend to "estimate" high!

I've chrono'ed my rifles along with some friends' with hunting weight pellets and don't get anywhere near the factory quoated velocities.

BigBore1895 04-09-2004 10:00 AM

I shoot a Daisy Red Rider, and it probably has 1,000,000 BB's through it and a whole lot of pigeons and other nasty critters under its belt!

Squirrelhunter91 04-09-2004 11:37 AM

no offence big bore, but my bro has that gun and its not enough to drop a chipmunk!!! so i dunno about the pigeons and everything..

BigBore1895 04-09-2004 02:30 PM

Awww, man, how are you gonna knock the Red Ryder? We have these pigeons that nest in the roof of the apartments across the lawn from me, and they are always walking around in the yard. Alas, at night, we pop them, and it works pretty well. However, if I could let the 12 gauge howl I would ;). I have had that gun since I was 5, and it is not in danger of being replaced. More sentimental than anything. My post was meant to be more humorous than anything, and I certainly realize the "limited" power of the old Daisy.

bobo21 04-12-2004 10:17 AM

Benjamin .177

Robertesq1 04-12-2004 08:42 PM

RWS 52 & Sheridan Blue streak

Rodsmith 04-13-2004 11:30 AM

Sheridan Blue Streak with a 1.5-5X32 Simmons. If I do my part I can the chipmunk in the face every time in the stone wall behind the house (40 yds. w/7 pumps) They stick their face out and I push it in for them.

CodyBear 04-13-2004 01:19 PM

I dont know much about Air Guns but Van Jacobi over at AirHog is a good friend of mine, he told me that Falcon Air Guns will have a new model out that will go through a 2x4 (piece of lumber) at 50yds. Keep in mind this is not a spring piston, reverse recoil type gun. It does use a Air cylinder to pressurize it though.

You would have to contact him if you wanted more info on it.

CB

DM 04-13-2004 04:29 PM

I have (3) 177's, a RWS 45, a Gammo multishot, and an old Chez gun my father bought me when i was 9 yrs old. I also have a Daisy BB rifle.

I've had the RWS 45 since about 1980 and YES i've chronoed it. It did just over 900 fps with heavy pellets, and 1,050 with light ones. It's very accurate, and has accounted for a lot of squirells, and other small animials. I've been shooting both "hollow point", and "pointed pellets" for hunting.

Drilling Man

uncle matt 04-20-2004 08:58 AM

I have an old Pleasure KS-1, .22 cal air rifle. I was told that it was used by the Chinese army to teach young "recruits" marksmanship and they had to master the basics of marksmanship before they would use real rifles. It is very accurate although I believe the seal or whatever inside could use some attention as the pellet is not too fast. But it does do a wonderful job on rabbits/crows in the vegetable garden with head shots. It has a fully rifled barrel and really "POPS" when you shoot it with a rather loud recoil for an air rifle. I just shoot from an old tin of Daisy pellets (pointed).

I bought it from an old guy who lived in public housing and couldn't have any weapons on property. I paid $5 for it. But he wouldn't take the $50 I offered him for the old octagonal barrel .22 lever he had too. Darn it.

If anyone could tell me ANYTHING about this Pleasure KS-1 or maybe a source of parts for it I would really appreciate it as all I know is the story I was told. I hand made a new seal for the recess where the barrel hinges and locks up to the "receiver", but I would really love to rebuild this thing. I don't know though, maybe it is still shooting just as fast as new. I have no idea what it should shoot FPS-wise.

Any help?

I also just bought one of my boys a brand new Red Ryder and it is rated at 280 fps I think. But it's easy to cock with a barrel full of BB's it's alot of fun for him but probobly not enough to kill more than a sparrow sized bird.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

bigcountry 04-20-2004 09:25 AM

I am curious. Why use pellets over BB's? I use sabots in muzzleloading and shotguns for terminal performance but can get excellent accuracy out of roundballs. I am wondering why people use pellets. Same reason for muzzleloading?

uncle matt 04-20-2004 07:15 PM

I think the advantage a pellet has over a BB is:

1) Weight. More delivered energy. Lead pellet is heavier than a steel (alloy) BB.

2) Accuracy. Riflined barreled guns can grab the pellet over a large contact area, whereas a BB if fired thru rifling will tend to "tear" and "roll" out of the barrel.

I think.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

bigcountry 04-21-2004 07:29 AM

Ok, I didn't realize that air guns were rifled, that makes sense. I just remember when i was a kid, I hated using pellets cause with BB's you could store like 100 in the gun. But pellets you had to put one in at a time.

JameyF 04-24-2004 10:32 PM

If you hit your target...you only need one:D

wesleykey 05-19-2004 02:16 PM

DAisy for me.

SifuSkyler 02-03-2005 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: DearSlayer357

Gamo Shadow hunter 1000fps .177 cal with scope
Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm Sifu Skyler McConahy of the Jing Chuan Kung Fu school. I am also an avid naturalist and small game hunter. I generally prefer air rifles to firearms (no smoke, no bang, no mess, no cops), though I've been known to break out the .22 and own some rabbits now and then.

Anyways, ah yes, the Shadow Hunter 1000. I have the same model, sporting a 3-9x AO scope. The shadow 1000 is a powerful, accurate, and well made gun (though it is loud as hell, lol). The synthetic stock is at least of as high a quality as most synthetic firearm stocks. I get almost 1000 fps and over 15 FPE with Gamo magnum hunters (the pointed ones). It's so powerful I can put a hollow point pellet almost as deep into my phone book as a .22 rimfire. All in all, a great field rifle.

I also have a 664GT powermaster clocking 700 fps (got it a while back to replace my old 760 pumpmaster. That old dog had 23 ground squirrels under it's belt when it broke, lol), which is suprisingly powerful for a Crosman, and I also have an 8 shot Crosman CO2 pistol at 440 fps. I prefer the Gamo for hunting though. The power and accuracy can't be beat.

buttonbuckmaster 02-03-2005 10:47 AM

I 've got one of those 10 pound cheapies they sell at the tool and gun show. Laminated orange wood, REAL pretty:eek:, but it works well. I put a $10 cheap airgun scope on it. Got about $30 in the whole set up.

JeffS 02-03-2005 12:30 PM

I shoot a RWS model 350 .177 caliber w/ a 3x9 BSA scope. It does wonders on turtles in the farm ponds. It also helps you practice shooting w/o costing hardly anything. The pellet it seems to like the best is Remington brand. I tried another brand and it would shoot all over the target.

HUNTER74 02-03-2005 01:25 PM

A 10 year old Daisy Powerline 880 and Daisy pointed field pellets. Surprisingly powerful and accurate for a cheap piece of plastic, it's never let me down. Very effective for rabbits on down at close range.

JOE-BEEF 02-03-2005 01:47 PM

Hi Joe , nice looking squirrels you got there. I have a Gamo also. Its a .22 cal. Magnum 2000 with a B.S.A 4X32 a/g scope. Quite the ticket for small game...... Good Hunting and Be Safe. They are very powerful guns....KENNY.

greatwhitehunter101 02-08-2005 06:27 PM

i have a crossmen quest 1000fps i love it i can shot anything from birds to rabbits i love it