Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about recoil as I consider a new rifle

hey Todd,met you at Indian mountain Archery(love my new Outback),anyway I know what you mean I shoot a Browning Abolt 12 ga. with 3" shells its a snot knocker.I have a 7mm mag and a 300 Weatherby and after shooting that 12 ga. they seem pretty tame.I think the 7mm mag would serve you well for what you stated,as far as the 30 06 it really does't kick much and I would be hard presses to tell the difference between the 06 and 7mm mag.Something I do you may find helpful,pad your shoulder when shooting that cannon at the range an old knee pad or even a folded up pair of heavey socks helps.No sense getting knocked around for nothing.Good Luck
Old 04-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

.270, 7mm-08, .280, .308, 30-06 are perfectly suitable for hunting deer to moose. Provided that you use properly constructed bullets and don't take 500 yard shots with them. Personally I would feel comfortable taking shots up to 300 yards, if needed, with any of the cartridges I listed.

I have been using a .270 on elk for about 8 years now and I can say that it has worked every single time and not once have I needed a follow up shot. My grandfather took six elk with it before he handed it down to me. All total it has accounted for 12 elk (5 bulls and 7 cows) with none running off wounded. In our camp there is usually a .270, .308, a couple of 30-06's a 7mm-08 and the largest is a 7mm magnum. None of us have ever had a problem taking down an elk.

The prime objective here is to find a caliber that will get the job done without kicking the snot out of me. ......................I'm going to shoot a buddies 30.06. I understand this caliber packs a punch to the shooter.
Let me give you some advice right now and listen to it. It sounds like you are psyching yourself out to get pounded by any rifle that you shoot. If you are preparing yourself to get hurt when you shoot a rifle then you're gonna get hurt. Walk up to the rifle and tell yourself that you are going to shoot this rifle and it's not gonna hurt at all and you won't feel a thing. Your state of mind has more to do with perceived recoil than anything else no matter if that recoil is real or just in your mind. If you tell yourself that it's gonna hurt then it's gonna hurt.

I was shooting a 30-06 at 12 years old and a 7mm mag by the time I was 14 and neither kicked hard enough to cause any pain at all.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:18 PM

bigbulls,

That is some darn good advice and addresses a attitude/problem that is epidemic in the USA.
-----------------------------------------

Todd In NY,

Given that you have a 243 and a 12 gauge, I'd recommend the 30-06 (not a feather lite, and one with a stock that fits YOU correctly).

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a 300 Mag. for elk is your best bet. I use a .340 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Out of the calibers you listed I would recommend the .270. It will take anything in North America with the proper bullets and good shot placement. I have never hunted anything larger than deer but if it was good enough for Jack O'Connor it is good enough for me.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:48 AM
jed
Fork Horn

Of the calibers you listed I would go with the 7-08. It has a smaller case size so less recoil. With the 140 or 145 grain premium bullet it will take anything on the continent with the exception of the large bears.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:55 AM

Check a 7mm Ultra mag in a Remington BDL. Kicks less than some .270's that I have shot. Also, compared with your shotgun, the 30-06 will be a joy to shoot. I also would not overlook the .308, as you can get heavier bullets than the calibers you mentioned, inherent accuracy, and plenty of range. If you are going after elk, bullet weight starts to become more of an issue, and either the 30-06 or the .308 will take heavier bullets and shoot them well.

Don't bother telling me the people have killed elk with smaller than .270 or 7mm-08, I am quite aware. I am just of the opinion that if you can use a little more gun than minimum, why not? Like EKM says, "never go undergunned." Of course, I don't take it to his extreme and advocate a .470 Nitro for coyotes!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:00 AM

I wish!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

30-06 and you won't need to buy another gun unless you want it.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.