Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 04-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about recoil as I consider a new rifle

I agree with the 30.06. After shooting my 12 gauge for years it's pretty easy (the 30.06) plus it's enough gun to take what ever game you want. YOu already have a .243 that can be used on deer (small IMO) but nonetheless, it will work. You would probably want to go big enough just in case. YOu would hate to lose a animal cuz of caliber and cause it to suffer. The 30.06 kicks, but not as much as a 12 gauge. I know 70+ year olds shooting 30.06's and they don't have much of a problem.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:10 PM

Go with the .280 and don't look back.
140 partitions for deer and 160 Barnes x for elk.
7 lb rifle.

Recoil will not be a problem and plenty of power for the animals you mentioned to reasonable ranges.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mm-08 produces little recoil and will take elk just fine under most conditions.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm going to shoot a buddies 30.06. I understand this caliber packs a punch to the shooter.
I swear by mine. The recoil of my 700 ADL is minimal compared to my 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster. If you shoot loads over 150 grains from a lightweight rifle, it can recoil pretty hard, but it's still not that bad.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let me give you some advice right now and listen to it. It sounds like you are psyching yourself out to get pounded by any rifle that you shoot. If you are preparing yourself to get hurt when you shoot a rifle then you're gonna get hurt. Walk up to the rifle and tell yourself that you are going to shoot this rifle and it's not gonna hurt at all and you won't feel a thing. Your state of mind has more to do with perceived recoil than anything else no matter if that recoil is real or just in your mind. If you tell yourself that it's gonna hurt then it's gonna hurt.
Absolutely right!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:30 AM

I would hate to limit myself to one cal. but if I had to, it'd be the 30-06. As for recoil I like a good recoil. Let's me know I've sent something down range. But a 12 ga. slug is just plain "no fun".

My suggestion is get a 243 and a 30-06. You'd have a great varmint/deer cal and a great deer/elk/ moose cal.

Another reason to at least get the 30-06 is that you can still get millitary ammo to practice with. I think I bought some Argentina stuff for $15 a box of 50.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Todd in NY I spend most of my time here on the bowhunting forums, but I find myself in need of a rifle. Here in NY we can only hunt deer during gun season with a shotgun. I have a very nice Savage bolt action 12ga that is very accurate, but this thing will beat the living be-jesus out of you. I also have a .243 that is a joy to shoot. Next to no kick as compared to the 12ga cannon. Anyway, I want to buy a rifle that is good enough for everything up to and including elk. The prime objective here is to find a caliber that will get the job done without kicking the snot out of me. I'm considering the 7mm-08, .270, or .280. What's your opinion on my choices.

I'm going to shoot a buddies 30.06. I understand this caliber packs a punch to the shooter. thanks, todd

NONE of the calibers you listed have anywhere near the recoil of a slug load in a 12-ga. shotgun! The main problem is when shooting a rifle off a bench and using deliberate aim and trigger squeeze, one often notices the recoil much more than when shooting at game in the field!

ANY of the caliber choices you listed are good for the range of game you mentioned. If you plan to hunt elk much, I think a .280 or a .30/'06 is a slightly more suitable choice than the 7/'08 or .270 because you can use heavier bullets, but both of these will also kill the biggest bull elk that ever lived, if aimed right! And, good bullet placement is essential no matter what you shoot!