Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Vs. Remington >

Ruger Vs. Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Vs. Remington

Old 04-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger Vs. Remington

I like both brands but I have sent back two #1s that I bought used that upon disaseembly had some beat up looking breech blocks from being taken apart and not assembled correctly among other things that needed attention. They fixed , checked out the guns for free and it only cost me shipping to NH. I have had just a few number 1's and accuracy was never a problem and a couple had truly horrible triggers. I would classify Rugers CS as the best in the firearms business. They are a dream to deal with and its great to hear a live human and not have to go thru some phone menu. On the other hand Remingtons customer service should crosstrain with Rugers , they would sell a heck of a lot more guns. I like them both just hope nothing major ever goes wrong with any new Remington I buy
Old 04-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have and like both guns but Ruger is by far the best gun for the money, they are accurate and cheaper than the Remington and they come with rings and bases. They also have excellent product service. I would choose the Ruger over the Remington 90% of the time.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't comment on Ruger long guns because i've never owned one. The only Ruger i've owned is a rimfire 10/22 which i still have and it's a very accurate and nice gun. On the other hand i have owned and still own numerous Remington rifles and am a big Remington fan. I don't have a newer one so i can't comment on the lastest models as far as quality goes. My newest Remington was made in 1990. I have nothing but good things to say about Remington firearms because i've had no problems with the ones i've owned or currently own. I really don't think you would go wrong with either one. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:53 AM

I will say Ruger's customer service has always been top notch with me. I've had number of lemons come from Ruger. Their quality control seems to suck, but they always made it right and stood by their product.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got them both, the model 700 and M-77. The Ruger is heavier but is of better design if you compare barrel thickness. The Ruger is a heavier gun and since I do a lot of stalking I prefer the Remington 700 since it is so much lighter, the Ruger has a higher retail value, you would not go wrong with either chose.
When I hunt here in the bush I am packing 180 gr corelokts for deer elk, moose or bear, its kinda an over kill on deer but the deer are on the big side here and I punch it behind the shoulder to avoid meat lose. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 04-09-2004, 07:18 AM

I have both. I have an older 700BDL in 7MM MAG, a newer 700ADL in 243, and a Ruger all weather SS in 270. Other than the 10-22, I had very little experience with Rugers before buying the 270. I have grown to love this rifle. All of the features mentioned in other posts apply. Accurate, lightweight, durable and affordable.
My old 700 is an awesome rifle. It shoots one hole groups with several loads, but it took several modifications to get it there. It's also kinda heavy to tote around all day. The 700ADL is just a "so-so" rifle to me. Nothing impressive, but it is functional and it was dirt cheap.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MovementShot
OK, I've pretty much decided on getting a .270. Now the question comes about, Ruger Mk77 vs Remington 700. I hear good things about both. Now since im on a limited budget, anyone know approx. prices on either and their thoughts on the two. One of my roommates swears by the Remington, while the other is a Ruger fan...they're not helping me out much. Thanks!
Go on the gun auction sites, like Auction Arms or Gunbroker. The prices there even for new itwems on the "BUY IT NOW" auctions are quite a lot below MSRP!

IMO, overall quality control of all U.S. gunmakers is a lot worse than it used to be, but I think it has affected Remington products more than Win. (USRAC) or Ruger.....
Old 04-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Let's face it when talking about a Rem 700 or Ruger 77 it's the Chevy and Ford arguement. Both are good rifles ,buy the model rifle that fills your requirements that fits and feels good to you.
As far as Remington's quality control, I've not seen or heard of any problems with the 700 rifle line , but know and have seen all sorts of trouble with their shotgun line.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:46 PM

When I got my m-77 mkII, I spent several weeks going to different shops and looking at different makes and models. While the ruger wasn't the smoothest action i tried(I think it was a browning), it fit me well, and I really like the 3 possition safety, most other rifles you have to turn the safety off to load/unload the gun. Of the 4 rugers I have(2 rifles, 2 handguns) I have never had to deal with customer service, but it's nice to know that they are good. And as I recall I got it for about the same $ as a savage once you add in the rings and bases. Plus I can shoot sub MOA groups with it...
Old 04-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Host of Hosts

It sounds like alot of people have had to deal with Ruger's customer service alot. That only tells me that you guys had alot of trouble with them and your experience with the service department and knowing first names of reps is scary. Rugers must be complete pieces of crap to have all that experience. Just kidding Frank!

I don't own any Ruger bolt action rifles, I've had 10/22's and a Mini 14 and they always functioned very well. The mini 14 was not very accurate, as most people know, but the 10/22 was by far the best semi auto rimfire I've ever owned.

I have a Remington 700 classic 7mm08 and it needed bedded before it would shoot good (1" to 1 1/2" groups) I find the quality to be very good with it compared to other modern rifles I have seen.

I think we sometimes take too seriously brand names. The fact is that all modern bolt guns out preform what most shooters are capable of doing with them.

Quick Reply: Ruger Vs. Remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.