Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hve any of you used a gun in self defense? >

Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

I have a self-imposed rule. I won't ever pull my firearm and NOT shoot it.
Not the best plan, IMO. That could lead to drawing your weapon too late to be of any good, or using deadly force when the circumstances changed in the time period after presenting and before firing. My rule is never draw my weapon unless I am PREPARED to use it. Huge difference.

After 5 years in the military, and 19 years in civilian law enforcement, I have a pretty good idea of "when" to actually shoot. I don't have a problem with "showing" that I'm armed as stated in my earlier post.

I've seen way to many incidents of nervous people shooting someone they didn't mean to, or have a right to, because they couldn't keep their fingers under control after drawing down on someone. I don't have that problem, but it sounds a whole lot better in court if I say "I waited as long as I could, and when the threat didn't diminish, I drew and fired".
Old 04-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Only once. I was on my way home from a gunshow when a guy started blowing his horn and flashing his lights wanting me to pull over. I thought that he was in trouble or knew me so I pulled into a parking lot. When I got out of my truck, he jumped out of his truck with a baseball bat and came running toward me. I didn't know what he wanted, but I wasn't about to ask questions, so I pulled out a .45 that I had bought at the gunshow and cocked the hammer. It wasn't loaded, but he didn't know it. I told him that I didn't know who he was or what he wanted but it would be in his best interest to chill out before I plugged him. It turned out that he had been having trouble with his wife's ex-husband and that I had the same color and model of truck that the ex drove and looked alot like him. Just a case of mistaken identity, but I thank God that I had a firearm with me or things could have been pretty bad.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, I don't agree at all with Danny's self-imposed rule, there are too many people out there following it already IMHO...When you draw your gun, you need to be prepared to fire everytime, but you shouldn't require it of yourself...you'll notice in my personal experiences below, shots weren't always necessary, if I had fired, I might have killed people who really didn't need it-if you draw your gun and the threatening thug runs off, and you shoot him in the back as he runs, you're at fault for murder or attempted...If you feel like you've got time to let him decide whether or not he really wants to make you shoot him, you should give it to him, otherwise things might get hazy in the hands of a good prosecutor, and not in your favor.

There's just no sense in shooting someone if you don't need to, it's better to draw and not fire and have a perp run off to never be caught than shoot someone for trying to steal your watch when you didn't need to.

Here in Kansas, if you're carrying, everyone knows it, because we're open carriage only (for now at least), when they see a .44mag or .45acp on your hip, they generally know better than to mess with you, even still, I've had my share of "trouble".

I've drawn a gun twice now to neutralize a situation, once I was getting robbed at knife point, as I "reached for my wallet" I drew my .38spcl double bbl derringer, cocking as I brought it acrossed my hip, the bad-guy knew he was screwed, he hit the deck like I was shooting, and just layed there, with his hands on the back of his head, I guess he figured I agreed with Danny. The other time was as a robber came running acrossed a parking lot into the gas station I was in weilding a gun, I saw him coming and moved to the side of the door, as he came through it, I had him from the off gun side and slightly behind, he also knew he was screwed as I told him to drop the gun, he dropped it, then turned and ran-he later got caught because his gun was registered to him-which is NOT required of any gun owner here in Kansas.

I've also had at least two other instances where I had to point out that I was armed, and probably three others where I've been jumped and ended up out-wrestling my opponent (not surprising), and I've held a mugger at knife point until authorities showed up-I wasn't packing heat that day, just my knife.

I HAVE fired one shot in my own defense, it was out of a .410 single shot shotgun, the only thing I had with me...leaving a rodeo one night a bunch of Mexicans (not hispanics, I have it on good authority that they WERE here illegally from Mexico-you'll see how I knew) stopped me as I was just getting in my truck...it was over a bad break up with one of their sisters (there were three girls and four brothers in her family, the four guys and some buddies were there), I knew at least two of the brothers carried a gun all the time, and I noticed a stainless slide glinting in the moon light in another's hand, so I grabbed the .410 as I stepped out of the truck, hollered, "now D@mnit I'm goin home" and put a load of 6shot out from about 30yrds, pointed between the two brothers, no one was maimed or killed, hit 3 or 4 of them from what I could tell, I didn't really pay attention since I was dry and they weren't, I jumped in the truck and hammered it...later the gal I dated got wind of it and had a talking to with her younger brothers, so that was the end of it thankfully...I really didn't want to kill anyone, but if it would have come to it, I would have and I wouldn't have felt bad about it.

Drawing your gun is a defense mechanism in the simple act itself, it IS an agressive motion. Check out what LEO's do, they draw a gun at the slightest hint of a threat, but they don't fire until they're forced to, however, if a perp draws a gun, they'll mow him down before he gets the opportunity to fire, like I said, it's an agressive motion in itself...if you feel like you're in a situation that your life is in danger-but not imediately so, draw, but have the conscience of mind to note their reaction, if they retreat-they likely will-then let them.

Don't get it in your head that every scenario in which you'll be forced to draw will be an immediate danger situation, take my .38derringer scenario for example, I was behing held at knife point, I'd talked him around for probably 3 minutes before I "complied" and reached for my wallet, I felt my life was indeed in danger as I couldn't talk him down and I WAS being threatened with a knife, but I knew once I pulled the gun he'd run, so I didn't need to shoot him, ok, so he laid down instead, that was a surprise, but he didn't need shot for that either, if he would have slashed at me, yes I would have shot him.

Don't let yourself get overconfident or lose your scruples either, you are NOT going to be able to draw fast enough to win a situation where you are already looking down a barrel. If you're getting robbed at gun point, know that you're not likely to get shot, give him your stuff, and keep your life, if you draw your gun-an agressive action-he will most likely fire, and he's already got the drop on you from the word go. Do you want to take a bullet or die about a watch and some pocket cash? If you're beat but still relatively safe, be smart enough to realize it, if it's seeming like he's out to kill you regardless, then I'd take my chances, at least I'd go down fighting instead of cowaring, but there's no sense in going down fighting when I didn't need to go down at all...if you're pretty confident that he's NOT going to shoot you if you do as he says, then do as he says, it's better neither of you gets shot and he winds up with a couple hundred bucks of yours than either of you get killed...

Some people will also tell you that when he turns to run, draw quick and shoot him before he gets away, if you could get it done before he gets 5-10' away, then I'd probably do it myself, you wouldn't be lying to the police at least then by saying "he was robbing me at gun point, but when he turned his back I shot", it wouldn't be lying one bit, but it should have been soon enough that it wasn't obvious to you or anyone else that he was running off...i.e. as soon as he turns his back, even if it's proven that he WAS running off, you can at least say you were panicked and couldn't really tell the difference whether he was going to leave or just gave you an opening...your actions should reflect that, if he just turned to run-hasn't even really taken a step yet, then you may not be able to tell the difference, all you know is you've got a safe shot and you took it...like I said, I don't really recommend it, but it's what I'd likely do.

Don't be too scruplulous either, if you do wind up shooting, shoot to kill, it's just better for you in the end, especially if he's armed, if you shoot an armed man in the leg or stomach to neutralize him, he may end up rolling over and shooting back, if you just kill him, you're safe and you only have to contend with his saddened family...let him live and you've got living proof of the damage you've done, with huge medical bills sitting in the courtroom with the saddened family, otherwise it's just their grielf against your self defense.

Long story short, don't plan on shooting anyone, be ready to if they force you to, but it's not worth shooting anyone who doesn't absolutley need it.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never have, and hopefully I never will. But I feel confident in my shooting abilities and my judgement, so I'll be ready if the 'Moment of Truth' ever comes. I actually just filled out the application for my CHP this week, and I'm looking forward to exercising my right to self-defense. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 AM

I've only pulled a gun on somebody once in my life. I pulled it on my stepdad one night when he thought it'd be a good idea to use mom as a punching bag. [:@] He stopped real quick when he heard the bolt close on the old .303. I fully intended on shooting his sorry butt, but he ducked down behind her so I couldn't get him without hitting her. He used her as a shield until he got close enough to get the rifle away from me. I got my butt kicked, but at least he quit beating her. I guess long guns aren't the best choice for close quarters fighting.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:05 PM

I have carried a handgun for mean yrs both on duty and off in my personal life. I have used it and have no regrets Im still here. A firearm is not the answer to ever threat. but here is something I was told by a very old and seasoned gun toter "Id rather have it on me and NEVER need it than NEED in and not have it"
Old 04-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

I carry a Sig P232 .380 ACP, I have never had to pull it, but if I do I will be prepared to shoot someone. I don't think shooting should be a requirement if it is drawn but I don't think you should pull it if you are unwilling to shoot it. If I do shoot someone it is going to be to kill them even if I have to shoot all 8 rounds. I’m not going to have some wounded attacker sue me because I gave him a limp.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:19 AM

[8D] Well up here in Canada we can not CCW....I used to live alone with a basement apartment in my house...I knew my tenant was away for the weekend & around 3am heard nosies in his apt! I keep my .45 cocked & locked in my bedroom & met the intruder trying to leave the apt....called the cops & he got busted for B&E....as I know most of the cops then I told the dispatcher that I was armed etc & arranged a signal to let the cops know it was me at the door unarmed and not the intruder. Bottom line is YES i'd a shot the bad guy if I felt threatened & the cops said if I do....KILL him...dead men cannot sue & to make sure the body is in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]
Old 04-09-2004, 01:37 PM

Congrats on joining the ranks of armed citizens. Now that you've gone through the course and feel comfortable shooting you pistola, you should go a step further and take a look at prevention and readiness.

1.)The three reasons people are easy targets for random acts of violence are:
(a) Lack of Awareness -You MUST know where you are & what's going on around you.
(b) Body Language - Keep your head up, swing your arms, stand straight up.
(c) Wrong Place, Wrong Time - DON'T walk alone in an alley, or drive in a bad neighborhood at night.

2. People have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc). DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
(a) A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage: Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
(b) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the people are attempting to get into their cars.
(c) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a guy is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to resize the situation and prepare accordingly. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

3. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).
Old 04-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope not yet and I hope I never do.As a last resort I'll shoot them.If that's the only way out so be it.If I make the commitment to shoot,I'll shoot to kill.I hope it never comes to that but I'm here to oblige them if needed.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.