Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Brand New Browning A-Bolt 270 Which Ammo? >

Brand New Browning A-Bolt 270 Which Ammo?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Brand New Browning A-Bolt 270 Which Ammo?

Old 04-05-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Brand New Browning A-Bolt 270 Which Ammo?

This past Saturday I purchased a Browning A-Bolt in a270 cal., with a Simons Atec Scope, This is my first Rifle of my own, I am trying to get a couple of opinions on which brand of ammo to use? Researching on this site I have come to the conclusion of using 130 grain for whitetail (which I hunt), but I have read here that the Remmington corelocks are no good, so please help me out. I know also it comes down to personal favor, and I will try several different brands at the range, I rather test the ones you guys feel are the better.

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 AM

Default RE: Brand New Browning A-Bolt 270 Which Ammo?

Remington Core-Lokts are fine. They have taken their fair share of deer over the years. I had a Stainless Stalker in .270 that loved them too. It would shoot those and Federal Premiums in 3/4" groups at 100 yards. And it would shoot reloads in 1/2" groups at 100 yards. It didn't like Winchester ammo though. Most groups ranged in the 3" to 6" with those.

It all depends on what your rifle will like to shoot. Get a box of each, and spend some time at the range to find out which load it likes. What worked in mine, may not work at all in yours.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

I have a .207 a bolt medallion. It loves the cheap winchester cpx2 ammo. In 150 gr. My groups touch at 100 yards. I have tried just about everything and the cpxs are the best for my gun.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:44 PM

Thanks guys, also which scope mounts and rings would you recommend?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 PM

There are several brands and styles of rings out there that will work. I like the Leupold rings and bases (two piece bases). After you've fire a few rounds, make sure that all the screws are still tight. I usually spray the screw holes and screws with gunscrubber, then use the red locktight on the base screws and the windage screws of the bases.

If you haven't mounted that scope yet, you may want to consider trading it off. I've only had one Simmons scope (44 Mag), and I had all kinds of problems with it. Others on this board also have had problems with Simmons. If it's still new and unmounted, you might try trading it in on a Nikon or Leupold. You'll be glad you did in the long run. If you decide to keep it, and your groups aren't what you think they should be, and your zero keeps shifting, then it's probably your scope. Mine changed zero every time I went to the range. Good luck and give us a range report when you can.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

but I have read here that the Remmington corelocks are no good,
Don't you believe it.......there's better bullets but for whitetail deer the Remmys are a fine bullet.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My .270 puts the Federal Classic Hi-Shok 130's into less than an inch at 100. Give all the brands a try and use the one your gun likes the best. I have never shot another load from my gun...heck theres no use...lol.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:30 AM

I'm going to agree with trading in your scope.

A hunting buddy of mine bought a Remington .270 used with a fairly new Simmons scope. After one season, the zero shifted after a round of shooting, and it would fog up when the humidity got high.

Overall, it was always a bit blurry...not nearly as crisp as even the OLD Leupolds in the bunch.

I bought an A-Bolt in .270 a year ago, and topped it off with a VX-2.

Just think about it.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys I went to Dicks Sporting goods and purchased the Leupold mount and rings and a box of Remington Core-Lokts as far as the scope my wife just got it for me so I will probably use it this season and get the Leupold during the winter. Thanks much appreciated.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generally, I'm not too fond of Simmons scopes either. However, IMO, the Aetec is one of their better ones. I have had an Aetec on a Ruger .243 for several years without problem. If / when it dumps, I'll replace it. The lower to mid recoiling calibers (such as .243, 7mm08, .270, .280, and .30-06) shouldn't tear it up too much. Likely the bigger boomers would. Probably the best advice I ever received was too put the best scope you can afford on your rifle. In the long run (or at a crucial time) you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Brand New Browning A-Bolt 270 Which Ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.