Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka

Old 04-01-2004, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Tikka

Thought I might add this...Tikkas are great rifles for the money but you may want to look elsewhere if you're wanting a .300 WSM. The T3 is a very very light rifle. Too light for me in a .300! Then again...I'm just a wimp...I don't like to get kicked into next week if I can avoid it.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good point. However, most of the time when hunting you never hear the report nor feel the recoil so light weight in the field is usually not a problem. It is at the bench though and I use a sandbag between the gun and my shoulder for every shot, even though I'm only shooting a 7mm RM. I usually shoot about 30 rounds when I go to the range though so I need that to make it though. 30 rounds of any centerfire is a pretty good "beating-up" in my book.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:58 AM

However, most of the time when hunting you never hear the report nor feel the recoil so light weight in the field is usually not a problem. It is at the bench though and I use a sandbag between the gun and my shoulder for every shot, even though I'm only shooting a 7mm RM.
You're exactly right Power. I agree with you on that. But like you, I enjoy shooting my hunting rifles at the range and a T3 in .300 WSM would not be pleasurable from the bench! I shot a friend's Abolt recently in a .300 WSM and it was no treat. They say "less felt recoil" not so sure about that. I'd opt for a heavier rifle in .300 magnum. Short magnums are great and I like the concept..but no one should expect to shoot a .300 magnum in a light rifle and not pay the consequences.

Sorry if I got off the subject.

Tikkas are great rifles....
Old 04-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Tikkas are good guns for the money. The WSM's are in demand and short supply (as I understand). I just looked at the Tikkas, but ended up getting a Sako 75 instead. It was extra cash, but IMO, well worth it. Smooth as a baby's but and a good shooter too.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I concur. Recoil in a light rifle is stiff. Best to know that going in. It might be too light to shoot comfortably so make sure you are aware before you buy any light rifle in a heavy caliber.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bentbarrel
Got a Whitetail Hunter in 7 Rem Mag. and it's awesome! It's a shooter. No experience with the T3.
I've got the same one. I got it in stainless w/ laminated stock. Love the look but decided to buy a used syn. stock as I'm too rough on the wood. Even more happy now.

I would recommend trying to find a Whitetail Hunter instead of the T3 if you can. I paid $599 for mine and worth every penny.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows
The Tikkas are good guns for the money. The WSM's are in demand and short supply (as I understand). I just looked at the Tikkas, but ended up getting a Sako 75 instead. It was extra cash, but IMO, well worth it. Smooth as a baby's but and a good shooter too.
Talking to my local shop the other day they have the 300 WSM on backorder for 25 guns. That's a lot for the small town I live in (60k people).
Old 04-02-2004, 04:48 PM

Power,

That is one sweet rig you got there. Is that a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on that bad boy? Yeah...I have a Whitetail Hunter and it is probably my favorite rifle in the cabinet. I haven't had it that long but I have enjoyed it vey much....I plan on taking it to Wyoming with me this fall.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the Tikka Whitetail Hunter was being phased out after they brought out the T3, but I could be mistaken.

What I do know is the T3 .300 Win Mag I bought last summer and hunted Elk with last fall is one well designed and well built rifle. I will grant you that the slightly lighter weight than some other comparable rifles makes it in the heavy magnum calibers a little hard on the shoulder for the initial bench sighting. But you can say that about any rifle in the ultras, too.

But it is one nice, very consistantly accurate rifle with premium ammunition (in the hands of a capable marksman). When I hunted with it for Elk, I don't recall the recoil. All I remember is the big Elk stagger and fall after the slug hit her just behind the shoulders.

I bought the wood and blued model, just because I liked the look of it. But I'm sure if you go with the synthetic and SS it'll serve you well and you'll be glad you got it. imo

Some day I hope to get another in a lighter caliber, maybe 270 for deer hunting back in Minnesota.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bentbarrel
Power,
That is one sweet rig you got there. Is that a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on that bad boy? Yeah...I have a Whitetail Hunter and it is probably my favorite rifle in the cabinet. I haven't had it that long but I have enjoyed it vey much....I plan on taking it to Wyoming with me this fall.
Close. Actually went for the 4.5-14x44 Conquest. Great scope, highly recommended. I had a shot an an elk 2 years ago at first light but here in Washington they have to be spike only. It was too dark still and too far away to be sure it was a spike even though it was legal hunting hours. That was through my 3x9x40 Nikon. After that I decided when I upgraded to a Tikka (from an A-bolt) I was going to get the best glass I could afford at a higher magnification. Helped me bag last years spike at 350 yards and I'm quite happy with it's clarity and brightness.