Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need help with scope options >

Need help with scope options

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help with scope options

Old 03-31-2004, 03:29 AM

Default RE: Need help with scope options

it is gonna be a tough pick. i would have to do some homework on the pro's and con's on both. i own a VariX-II 3-9X40mm and a VX-II 2-7X33mm and a variX-III 1.75-6X32mm.also with luepold there is a place you can change out the reticles on depending on what you want. that is a plus for luepold and it does not void your factory warranty. they also do a top notch job. www.premierreticles.com

all three are excelent and never have failed me. but i have also heard that the bushnell elite 3200 series has the raingaurd and are just as clear as luepold's so it depends on what you want to go with.

good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Both are fine scopes, so go with the Elite and save that 100 bucks and spend it on ammo.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:57 PM

I've got the bushnell 3200 and love it. When I bought it I went to a large sporting goods store, and looked and and thru every 3-9x that they had, and it was the clearest to me. Plus it was less $ than the higher end models. Get a good scope, but don't spend a lot of $ on one either. My father in law swears by leopold but he admits that he can't tell the difference between his leopold and my bushnell.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same rifle and I put a nikon prostaff 3x9x40 and love it.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:35 PM

The only time I buy Leupolds now is for heavy recoiling rifles due to the longer eye relief.
Very good point! That was actually one of the first things I thought about....I recently put a VX-II on a 7 Mag for that reason. Don't really expect too much recoil from the 270 wsm but not sure....never shot one. I have a tendency to switch out scopes on various rifles...I have more rifles than scopes. So, this scope could end up on a 300 Win Mag in the near future. That's something to think about....

Thanks for the input guys! I'm going to mull it over a little longer and go compare the two in the shop again.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only real knock on the elite is the eye relief, so if their is a chance it will be on a healthy kicker or eye relief is a concern than I would lean toward a scope that affords more than the 3" the 3200 has. As far as features, etc they are pretty well equal..you do pay more for a Leupold but I really don't see 70-100 a big loss in this case with the chance the short eye relief may cause a problem. If eye relief wasn't or isn't a concern I'd pick the elite in heartbeat, it is a dandy scope for the slop!!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:48 AM

how does the bushnell have for eye relief?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:43 PM

Quilly,

From their websites...

Elite 3200
Eye Relief
3.3/83

VX-II
Eye Relief
Eye Relief (in): 4.7(3x) 3.7(9x)
Old 04-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have an elite 4200 1.5-6 x 36 and a 3200 in 3-9 x 40 and I am very happy with them. The rain guard coating is awsome. You can breath on it and fog it up and still see through it to shoot! I would also recomend a set of Butler Creek flip open scope caps. They work very well and keep your lenses very clean.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

[size=2] It would be no contest go Leupold in this situation...The new VX-II uses the same multi-coating as last years Vari-xIII. The bushnell 3200 is better then last years vx-II in the optics department. The new VX-II has better optics,eye relief and weight length dimensions. If there is one thing I hate about scopes its bulky scopes and models with poor eye relief. This fall my local dealer was out of 50mm scopes so I bought a Burris , scope is a real good scope but its no Leupold . I will use Leupold as the base scope line for any of my purchases . If you ever get tired of that Leupold and want to get rid of it just look at Ebay and see how they hold their value and compare it with other brands your looking at, I guarantee it won't be pretty. [size]

Quick Reply: Need help with scope options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.