Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CALIBER 30 CARBINE >

CALIBER 30 CARBINE

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CALIBER 30 CARBINE

Old 03-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CALIBER 30 CARBINE

I've taken a deer with my M1 Carbine. It was under 50 yards away. I can't say that I would recommend this great little gun for deer hunting. If used you must know it's limitations. That being said, 50 yards maximun with very good shot placement. I'll also state the obvious. Don't use FMJ's!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a hunter out in Western Kansas that has used one for probably coming on twenty years or better now-he only takes up close and personal shots, but he always seems to get good bucks with it...He also took a Ruger .30Carbine revolver out last year, took a nice whitetailed deer with it....

That said, I wouldn't recommend it, I'm not certain really why that fellow is so dead set on using the .30C, he's got several other better suited guns, just likes it I guess.

On a similar note, I've used semi-auto carbines in pistol calibers, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45acp (thompson knockoff) in the past-they weren't anything I'd recommend, but they did well enough to get the job done-The only reason I don't recommend any of such carbines is because getting people to hunt ONLY the range such guns are good for is hard: all shots I took with them were under 50yrds, controlling yourself to not take a shot at 75yrds is hard when it seems so easy.

Get another gun, the .30Carbine is just for fun really, the military forces dropped it like a bad habit after seeing its "killing ability", deer aren't really that much stouter than people, that's proof enough for me.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DearSlayer357 would a 30 cal carbine be enough knock down power for whitetails?
NOT ONLY NO, BUT UH UH!! I find the damn things marginal for even jackrabbits!!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:59 AM

i have heard stories of people using them in pushes in maine. but they have to unload the entire magazine to drop them. ( i beleive there are a 5 shot max in rifles like that ) but i shure would not use one unless i was dead on accurate and aim for the head and was sure to drop it in one shot. we owe it to them to make a clean painless kill as possible.

seems to be a fun little plinker though and a nice beginner gun ( using 1 round at a time ) for cans and other small game.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:57 AM

It's not something I'd use, but as I wrote in my post above, I'd put it in the same class as a .357 magnum pistol. I wonder how many folks here trashing the 30 carbine rifle would hunt with a .357 magnum pistol and think nothing of it??
Old 04-20-2004, 12:37 AM

The .30 M-1 Carbine is a fun round to shoot and if you reload, you will be surprised at how accurate it can be. I have a Ruger Blackhawk and shoot a 110 gr. Speer JHP with 14.7 gr. of H110 and CCI 450 primers.
5 shots off a rest at 25 yrds. gave me a group of .675. I like using this load for hogs but, I think it's a little too light for deer.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I killed my first deer with that gun. Open sites at 30 yds. Dropped like a rock. Have seen my dad, and my grandad kill a pile of deer with one.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

to small for deer! Not enough knockdown. The minimun in my opinion for a deer is a 223 within 150 yards with a premium bullet.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:38 PM

The .30 M1 is fun gun, but just isn't suitable for deer size game. The round was designed for men and it didn't work well for them and I believe deer to be tougher than most men. If you want to use a military type weapon pick up a Garand.
and no I would't use my .357 to hunt deer.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM

I say use a .458 and make his mama feel it. Just kidding, I don't think a .30 carbine has enough juice to do the job. I mean I am sure you could do it under ideal condition but what are you gonna do when that double drop tine walks out of the brush line at 200 yards? Better be safe than sorry, you don't want to take your kid hunting and mame or put 10 rounds into something, not a good impression. Get you a 7mm Mag and feel confident at any range.

Quick Reply: CALIBER 30 CARBINE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.