Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SHOTGUN: shooting non-saboted slugs thru a rifled barrel >

SHOTGUN: shooting non-saboted slugs thru a rifled barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SHOTGUN: shooting non-saboted slugs thru a rifled barrel

Old 03-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SHOTGUN: shooting non-saboted slugs thru a rifled barrel

The biggest problem with shooting rifled slugh through a rifled barrel is that the slug already has the rifleing molded onto the slug itself. When one tries to shoot this type of slug through a rifled barrel the rifeling that is in the barrel does not have much lead at all to grab and impart spin on the slug. This is what promotes the added leading in a rifled barrel as the slug will tend to slip while traveling down the barrel. The rifleing on the slug will not line up perfectly with the rifeling inside the barrel and you will usually get less than good accuracy and aded leading.

There are full bore lead slugs on the market that are designed to be shot out of a fully rlfled barrel as they do not have any rifleing grooves molded on the slug itself. The Remington "buck hammer" is a good example. These do not cause any more leading than any other bullet out there because the barrels rifleing has something substantial to gram and impart spin.

The best rule of thumb is if the slug has rifleing molded on the slug itself then shoot it in a smooth bore barrel. If it does not have rifleing molded on the slug then shoot it out of a fully rifled barrel.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Bigcountry,
I'm shooting a plain old Mossberg 500, and the Federal 1oz foster slugs. The other guy is shooting Winchester slugs, and I believe a Remington shotgun. He was the one who first asked me why I was paying so much for sabots. I said accuracy at longer ranges. I had never thought much of the Fosters for more than 40 yards or so. When he told me of the groups that he was getting at 100, I didn't believe him, until we shot together. That's when I put some Fosters down the pipe and found out that I could do the same thing. I clean the barrel as normal, never noticed any extra fouling or leading. From what I've heard of slugs, they vary quite a bit in diameter, as do slug barrels, so some experimenting is nesessary, to find the right combo.
Now there are some "extreme" sabots, that are good for 200 yards. The Foster style, of course, can't compare to these. I'm referring to the "regular" sabot slugs. Hope this helps you.
Charlie
Old 03-26-2004, 06:47 AM
bigcountry

I tried all the super fast sabots and can't get them to shoot. I want to go shooting with you sometime and see these shots with fosters. I regularly frequent the Happ Baker range in Carroll county. Not this weekend, going to my home in Ky to see the Bristol race.

I got a browning gold that loves 2.75" copper solids, not the 3". Also likes lightfields. Hates all the winchester and remington super fast slugs. And hates the hydroshok fed 3".

But got a 870 that loves the 2.75" federal hydroshok, but hates everything else.

Got a 1187 that loves lightfields only.

They all have a individual of thier own. The only one that will give 2" groups 5 groups out of 6 is the gold. Rest have the usual 3 to 4" groups.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Can someone tell me about "Foster slugs"

i have always just used the $1.99 remington rifled slugs. Is fosters a brand or type and what is the difference. I am shooting a smooth bore mossberg 500.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

BC,
Sounds great! I haven't been up to Happ Baker for quite a while. Nice setup there.
I have a new scope to mount on the Mossberg. I bought a Bushnell, made for cantilever scope mount shotguns. It's got a 6" eye relief. Once I get the chance to get that mounted and sighted in, we'll hook up.
Charlie
Old 03-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Foster" slugs are a type / design not a manufacturer. Their design has been around for many years. They were the old reliable choice until the Brenneke offerings, and later sabots, came along. The standard Remmington ($2.99) slugs are fosters.