Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many remember??? >

How many remember???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many remember???

Old 03-25-2004, 06:16 AM

Default RE: How many remember???

Red rider BB gun was my first
My dad bought a Springfield 1903-A3 30-06 sporterized for me to use for deer hunting, heavy as a log and kicked like a mule, at least to a 14yr old kid. Shot my first buck with that gun. He had a chance to trade it on another gun and I told him to go ahead. I would trade any gun in my cabinet for it know.[:'(]
Old 03-25-2004, 07:41 AM

My first gun was a Ithica md37 16 guage, the first year they came out with the flouescent site, about 1956. My first rifle was a pre 64 model 70 in 1957 that cost $90.
Polack
Old 03-25-2004, 01:51 PM

Oh DUH! How can I forget my first BB gun?!?! How could I put the .410 before the old Red Ryder? How many grackles and sparrows died at the hands of that little five year old carrying that fearsome weapon? Ah yes, like someone here posted, we must just be a sentimental bunch. As a matter of fact, you've all given me an idea for next weeks article! I cannot guarentee that my mentioning the message board here will get printed (my small, home-town paper tends to look down upon "pops"), but by God, YOU are the ones who gave me the idea! Thanks guys and gals!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

..Mine was a pre-64 30-30 winchester...no scope just iron sights..
Old 03-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many of you out there remember your very first rifle that you got as a child?..
I bought a Winchester Model 47 single-shot with unfinished stock (walnut!!) when I was 13. It cost $22.05 in 1952, and my father was dead set against it, because he "hated guns". Seems he had a BB gun as a child, killed a bird with it, and never got over it! I had to finish the stock, and used Linseed oil. It came out real pretty after rubbing in a couple of coats of oil each week for about 6 months.

It was a very accurate rifle after I put a Weaver B6 scope on it. It would shoot half-inch 5-shot groups from the bench at 50 yards with Rem. HV HP ammo.

Don't have it any more. Don't have ANY rimfires any more. after owning this rifle for about 6 mos. I bopught a Rem. 721 in .30/'06, and shortly thereafter started reloading '06 ammo, and quit shooting rimfires!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Man-O-Man!!

What alot of remebering.. I have gotten alot of greate replies from everyone here.

Sounds to me that everyone has had a great childhood with very understanding mother and fathers.
But really hope that everybody takes and teaches their own the same way that we grew up..(WITH THE OPPERTUNITY TO HUNT AND ENJOY)

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this.
Leroy.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:00 AM
Typical Buck

Mine was a single shot Stevens .22 SLLR. Still got it, and I'll put it up against any of the new ones.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was a single shot falling block .22 that my dad bought at a garage sale. The front sight was bent on it and it didn't have an extractor. My dad would drop me of at the rifle range with a brick of ammo, I would shoot up the entire brick in an afternoon, but my fingers would be bleeding and my nails would be worn down to nubs from picking the spent casings out of the chamber- but I had loads of fun with it, and mastered the art of Kentucky windage with it.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:34 AM
Host of Hosts

I've never owned any guns
Old 03-28-2004, 12:18 AM

my first was an western field tube fed bolt action. At the same time my Dad bought a remington nylon 66. After about a year I traded my dad for his rifle. I dont know what happened to the western field, but I still have the nylon 66