Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer rifle question? >

Deer rifle question?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer rifle question?

Old 03-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Deer rifle question?

Hello all!

As you can tell by my handle I am a turkey hunter. I grew up deer hunting but in brushy country in NW Arkansas. Have not been deer hunting now in maybe 18 years...wow....the time goes by. I have a 30-30 Marlin, scoped, with see through mounts from those days. Will be carrying such with me this year during turkey season on ocassion for hawgs...would like some sausage and such for the freezer.

Anyway, a 30-30 is not really much for longer range Texas country. It's a good brush gun. I'm probably going on to the "deer lease" period this fall on the property I have the "turkey lease". They have nice deer. As a turkey hunter I have seen them

100 to 200+ yard shots could be possible from the shooting stands on this property. It seems more like deer sniping at times but I am very much looking forward to deer hunting this fall. I have taken 2 deer as a teenager/young adult with a bow and several with my old 30-30 way back when...

As a caveat to my question I will be certain to become familiar with, practice, and hit vital spots at the ranges I might be shooting.

OK, so now here is my questions, RIFLES? There are so many.

I'd like a gun for the following criteria...

- Texas deer, 50 to 200+ yards
- Possibly other North American game, Elk, etc...
- Lotsa ammo available to pick from (if applicable i.e. 30-06) as well as reasonable cost ammo.
- Inherent accuracy in the gun and caliber
- Cost, less than $600 for scope/rifle combo, but could pay more
- Non-wood stock of fiber or composite construction, and preferable Parkerized or stainless, lower maintenance metal

also, will probably add a Limbd Saver recoil pad to whatever I buy since from shooting a powerful turkey gun I really like my Limb Saver.

Caliber questions....

.270 or .30-06? or Other?

I have read reviews online and have seen guides say if you can shoot well a .270 is not problem for Elk or any Deer in North America.

I like the ballistics of the .270 and the available cartidges and hitting power of the .30-06.

Any recommendations?

As well I have considered something like the Remington model 710 combo. I know I might get ribbed for buying an econo gun but if I can hit with it...well you know...

Take care and thanks for any help!

Regards,

TurkeyHunter

Update: Nix the model 710. Got some first hand reputable reviews and I want something a little better. Now I am torn between the .270 and .308, but leaning toward the .308
Old 03-21-2004, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Deer rifle question?

With your criteria listed, it's really a simple matter. Howa 1500 Lightning in either .270 or 30-06. If it were me, I'd go with the .270. If you shop around, you should be able to get into a complete rig for right around your $600.00 price limit.

Stay away from the 710. It's junk. The Howa is 3 times the rifle and doesn't cost that much more.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:06 PM

Savage wither worrer 30/06 or 300 win mag good luck and good hunting
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Weatherby Vanguard. 270 Winchester. 3200 Bushnell scope. 600.00- 650.00.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:49 PM

Is there any difference between the .270 and .308 in knockdown if you get a vital shot? They seem awfully close....
Old 03-21-2004, 10:07 PM

You mentioned elk and that makes the cal. more important cause deer are not very hard to kill but elk is another story. Many have taken elk with the .270 but you have to be more picky on your shots. In other words a broadside shot needs to penitrate less than half as far as a quartering away from you shot to reach the heart. An Elk facing away from you may need you to shoot through 24" of tough elk hide, bone, muscle, etc.

A heavy tough bullet works best. A 30-06 in 200gr elk bullet will penetrate a long ways and may save a hunt. You can shoot 150gr for deer or even if you reload you can shoot 130 gr for coyote. Now if you hunt big bear there is a 220 gr bullet that might be what you need. With all the new ammo out there you can shoot the light magnum ammo that makes the 30-06 near 300win mag ammo.

This is what I think anyway.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby. Mag., .300 Win. Mag., or 7mm Rem. Mag. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:37 PM

Remington 700 ADL 30.06
Old 04-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, if you shoot your .30-30 well enough, there's nothing wrong with hunting it to 200-250yrds on deer, it might not be great for Elk at that range, maybe at 150 tops. Don't discount the .30-30 based on what people tell you about it, see for yourself how it shoots. Personally, I firmly believe that so many people believe the .30-30 is a short range cartridge because they don't shoot open sights or lever actions that well, so can't hit anything with it past that 100-150yrd mark, while I've seen one drop a whitetail at an honest 272yrds from a Marlin 336.

For your "other rifle" I recommend a Savage, maybe not a package deal because you get a pretty poor scope (although the rings are ok), I'd recommend a .30-06 or .308Win, but there are a hundred cartidges out there that will perform nearly equal to these two in the field. The savages are hard to beat on accuracy, and as far as value goes (performance per dollar), they're probably the best buy in town.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Host of Hosts

You can buy an American made rifle for less than 600.00, you don't have to buy imports.

Winchester Black Shadow
Remington 700 ADL Syn.
Savage

Quick Reply: Deer rifle question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.