HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Sako vs Tikka (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/55987-sako-vs-tikka.html)

fisherprice1 03-15-2004 03:51 PM

Sako vs Tikka

I know they are both made by Beretta. I want either the Tikka 300 WSM or the Sako 300 WBY. Both in stainless. The Tikka is a little lighter which is nice to carry. Price is not really an issue as I am a retailor and get them wholesale priced. I guess the question is do I really need to spend another $300 for a good rifle?

bigcountry 03-15-2004 03:58 PM

RE: Sako vs Tikka

After seeing those new T3's in action, you bet ya. I have yet to see those T3's shoot well, but rarely see a Sako shoot bad.

tschaef 03-15-2004 05:23 PM

Maybe I've missed something but I'm surprised at your reply BC, I thought Tikka/Sako barrels were the same, my understanding is that all Tikkas are gauranteed sub 1" from the box, and Tikka triggers are great.
I don't know anything about the T3, but I love my Tikka All Weather Master in .308

diyj98 03-15-2004 07:20 PM

I've yet to shoot a T3, but I have three Whitetail Hunters and a Continental that are all super accurate rifles. The Sako are slightly nicer overall, but the price is higher as well.

handloader1 03-15-2004 10:37 PM

Since money is not a big factor I would go for the Sako .300 Wby. Mag. Good luck.

bmullin57 03-16-2004 05:08 AM

I would go with the Sako. And would not consider a short mag in Tikka. With their one size fits all action there is no advantage in action length over convential calibers.

bigcountry 03-16-2004 07:43 AM

Yea, I was surprised too. I like the older continental and Whitetail models greatly. I hate it they went to this newer T3 design. It is light. I was considering buying the T3 last year. So I read everything I could about it. But I have seen and shot 3 of them. None of them showed subMOA guaratee. Neither did a few writups like in NRA publications.

You know remington also has a gurantee that if you call their customer service said depends on several factors. Just not listed on their website. Have you ever tried to get paid up on it? Once it worked out great, then another time they took my custom trigger and tossed it and put on a sledge hammer trigger and tried to charge me. I don't know about you, but guarantees ain't worth spit to me. I just don't like the hassle. I mean I would rather buy a car that has no gurantee and in the past has given me reliable servise than a Hyndia, or however you spell it. So I see the reason most people take up for the Tikka T3 with their great service with the older model. Now I have yet to shoot the wood version, only the synthetic. And the stock was a little cheapy.

bigcountry 03-16-2004 07:57 AM

Now I would consider this Tikka if it was wood.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubb...t=1#Post598237

oldelkhunter 03-16-2004 09:13 AM

I would go with the Sako. And would not consider a short mag in Tikka. With their one size fits all action there is no advantage in action length over convential calibers. You would just be shooting ammo that cost twice as much
Are you saying that Short mag ammo costs 2x what regular ammo costs or the belted magnum ammo it competes with? Look at prices and compare apple with apple and tell me how much difference there is.

Solitary Man 03-16-2004 10:10 AM

I would go with the Sako. But then I own a stainless Sako .300 Wby, so I'm a little biased I guess. Mine has been an excellent rifle, well worth what I paid for it. The only thing I don't particularly care for, however, is the height of the Optilock scope mounts. Even the lows are a little too high for the 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest I have mounted on it. I may eventually replace the Optilocks with Conetrol. I have Conetrols on my 7mm mag Sako and really like them a lot.