Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 710 >

Remington 710

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 710

Old 03-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Remington 710

I'm changing my mind on a remington 710 purchase. So far I havn't heard anything good about it. But I would like to hear from anyone that has had any experiance with it.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 710

My uncle bought one and I asked him about it one day. He said he had to switch to ballistic tip bullets because the gun would not chamber a soft lead tip bullet from the magazine. The soft lead tip would hang when he tried to work the bolt foward to chamber the round. I guess the hard slick ballistic tip would slip over whatever the obstruction was, where as the lead tip would not. I tried to get him to return it but so far as I know he still has it. He did kill a deer with it last year so I guess its functional. I have generally not heard very many good things about them. The feeding problem alone on my uncles gun would be unacceptable to me. I think they are poorly made and of low quality.

If you want a remington I'd step up to at least a model 700 adl. I saw a synthetic model at Wal-Mart for just a hair over 400 dollars. Also look at Savage models. They have some very decent guns for a price that won't break you.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Don't do it. It's junk as far as i am concerned. I looked at them for $389 as a back up gun and i thought it was junk. There are many better guns out there by Savage, Winchester etc.. that are only about $15 more at wal-mart.

The 710 looks like a joke. I thought it was an air-gun.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are cheap, and from what I've seen from several examples, they shoot really good, but I don't have much else good to say about them.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:25 AM

They are cheap and not very well made. However, they do shoot very good groups. Mine shoots 1/2-3/4" groups at 100yrds all day long. The blueing is really crappy and is wearing off of the barrel in several places on mine. And if the blueing isn't coming off, it's rusting. I make sure that I wipe it down after every trip into the swamp and it's still doing it. I've heard of them dropping the magazines, but so far mine hasn't done that. They also have a bad habit of not keeping the bolt in the action when you cycle it. If I try to cycle the bolt too fast, it comes out in my hand. Remington really screwed the pooch when they designed that one! Spend the extra couple of bucks and get a better rifle!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've looked at them also in the gun shops and at the gun shows. Unlide the 700, they seem too bulky, the bolt isn't near as slick and seems to bind. And the metal finish is really bad. I guess there is a market for these rifles out there but not from us "experienced" gun nuts. This model is reminissant of the old 788 which was a dynamite shooter with a lower price tag. But that rifle was even better than the 710.
IMO I wouldn't buy one as much as I like all my Remingtons.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 PM
jjt

i have one in .270 win that i am trying to sell if you are still interested
it shoots well and as every one has said the bluing is poor the bolt is not the smoothest and the trigger is heavy i have only shot it 40 to 50 times but i have never had any problems with it loading or unloading(nosler partitions & core loct ultra)

on a good note they will kill just as well as my other rifles. I took 3 antelope 1 muley and 2 elk with it this year
shoot me an email if your interested
[email protected]
Old 03-18-2004, 07:56 PM

Now you have went and done it! Don't mention the 710! Just kidding, I have one and although I wouldn't buy another one they actually shoot pretty well. None of the deer or hogs have seemed to care as they hit the ground. I picked up my 06 at a Sports Authority a couple of years ago for basically nothing and after a minor trigger adjustment it has performed well. Bottom line a decent cheap shooter but for a little more cash you can get a much better quality firearm that will last. Hope this helps. By the way it's kinda funny that with all the problems with this gun anyone that shoots one genarally has little bad to say about the accuracy which ultimately the point right? Go with the 700 or a Savage.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

I'm changing my mind on a remington 710 purchase.

Smart move on your part.

I've looked a couple of them and I can't believe Remington would release this kind of junk.Poor quality. The barrel is pressed in, has a real cheap stock. The triggers are terrible,just plain garbage.It wouldn't even make a good boat anchor.Like mentioned go with a Savage or if a Remington is a must ,the 700 is a much better rifle then the 710.
Check the Ruger M-77's out.Quality rifles at fairly reasonable prices.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Host of Hosts

Don't listen to the last guy , he always has a biased opinion of Ruger firearms. Just kidding RR! Rugers are real nice guns, but don't overlook the Winchester Model 70 either.

Quick Reply: Remington 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.