Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what would you do? >

what would you do?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what would you do?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:10 PM

Default what would you do?

as some of you already know that i have bought a M1 garand and have wanted one since i was a little boy ( dream come true )also some of you know i will be getting married coming up so funds are tight.

i want to get the M1 garand done over so it shoots like a hunting rifle and something that will last generations to come. the gun itself is not in good shape but also not in bad shape.

i have decided to sell my A-bolt medallion in 30-06sprg with a 3-9X40mm vari-X-II with a tappered post reticle. ( so i can keep it in the family ) i am also selling some others at KTP to pay for the rest of it off.

#1 CZ VZ24 mauser that came with a simmons 3-9X40mm scope ( that i will put back on )
#2 savage model 10 FCM " scout rifle " topped off with a VX-II 2-7X33mm

i have been told that i might get about $125.00-$150.00 for the mauser and roughly $350.00 -$400.00 for the savage.

now my other thought was since i already own a F.N. sporter chambered in 35whelen with a vari-X-III 1.75-6X33mm that will be my stand hunting and tree stand hunting rifle ( by the way 1SHOT_1KILL did an eccellent job on by the way !!!!!!!! ).
now that i have a M1 garand for my still hunting and stalking gun.
i have come the hard decision if i should sell my browning BAR MKII safari W/ iron sights chambered in 30-06sprg to help me out with the bill aswell.

know i have been called that i think to much like a girl sometimes on some matters.but I WOULD truly appreciate your help on what you would do and think on this matter
Old 03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what would you do?

Guns last longer than wives and in the greater scheme of things don't cost near as much.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:15 PM

I know you really want to push this Garand project through, however, Ive always heard that you don't part with guns you already have obtained. Maybe being a little more patient and waiting till funds build and allow you to tackle the Garand a step at a time would be a good decision. Think about it. Good Luck.
Whitey
Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with the previous posts, you'll regret it later. i feel your pain, i've been in similar predicaments before, wanting to get rid of some thing that i don't use much in order to get some thing that i thought i needed or would use more, but i knew that i would regret it later so i waited and finally got what i wanted. heck i'm in similar situation now with some guns that i inherated last year, they won't replace my goto guns but i would like some thing different because i won't use them much, but i can't seem to part with them......yet. just wait, you'll thank your self later. it's not like you need the m1 to hunt with this year, i know that you want to. i could understand (maybe) getting rid of one or two but not most of them. good luck with your decision, take your time to decide so you don't regret it later. i'm sure that you have gotten rid of a gun in the past that you wish that you still had.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

If you sell your any of your guns the money will be gone in a week and in a month you won't be able to remember where or what you spent it on. And the guns will be gone forever. But you will remember them, a bitter memory of what you once had but have no longer.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't sell.
You'll regret it.

Never sell a gun that you like to get another gun, keep the guns, save money for your project.
BTW- how does your M1 shoot?

If it shoots big groups, there are little tricks that you can do to get it to shoot to a level of "hunting acuracy" that cost nearly nothing. When you start looking to get a sub 1 moa gun then it will cost you.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:48 AM

briman.

my father will be taking the BAR MKII safari and i will hardly use the a-bolt medallion since i finally got my 2 year project gun done. ( F.N. sporter 35whelen )

the M1 garand does not shoot comforable enough for me to take it in the woods to hunt with. BTW that dang bolt slammned on my finger last night while cleaning the barrel (with a bore giude ) i was putting a shop rag in the reciver to catch any foeign material that might fall into the action and SLAMN !!!!!

shoots like i would guess off hand at 50yds. maybe 10" groups using 150gr. american eagle FMJ's
Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few things you can check on the M1 to start with:

sight- crank the rear sight all the way up to the top then try to wiggle it with your finger- its ok to have a little play in it, but if it feels really loose, it will need to be tightened- which I think needs to be done by a smith that knows their M1's.

Gas cylinder- grab the gas cylinder and try to wiggle it- is it loose? For accuracy, it needs to be very tight to the barrel or else he front sight will be constantly shifting, and the harmonics of the barrel will be screwed up.
I've heard of two methods of tightening these- one involves cutting tiny shims from beer cans and using them as wedges between the gas cylinder and the barrel splines. the other method involves LIGHTLY peening the barrel splines towards the rear of where the gas cylinder mates up- I did this on my M1 and it instantly changed from a 4 moa shooter to a 2 moa shooter.
There should be a slight gap between the rear of the gas cylinder and the front of the handguard- it needs this gap in order for it not to put more or less pressure on the barrel when it heats up.

Trigger group lockup- There are two lugs on the trigger guard that cam into the receiver to tighten down on the stock- if they are out of round, they are worn, and the trigger guard needs to be replaced. You can get new unused ones for about $15. The milled trigger guard would probably be historically 'correct' for your M1 (milled guards have a hole in the rear behind the trigger) but stamped guards will lock up tighter. There should be no play between the receiver and stock- stocks wear out as the wood fibers crush down, and also cause loose stock/receiver fit- but they can be shimmed with thin pieces of hardwood to tighten the lockup.

Muzzle crown- have this touched up- it should only cost about $20 to have a smith recown it to get fresh and even rifling at the muzzle.

Sorry to hear about your finger- never happened to me, but I saw it happen to a guy at a match- almost got to see a 60 year old man cry like a girl from the pain.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:22 AM

Those are decisions nobody can make but you. I always read people in the various forums writing "never sell guns". Sometimes you have to sell. If hadn't sold guns over the years, I'd have have several buildings full of guns. As it is I have a couple hundred!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:35 AM

I'll sound like most of the other guys in here, in that, I wish I hadn't sold any of my guns. Get a second job. I work sat. at the aprenticeship traning site as an instructor and all that money is fun money. It took a long time to get that second job but it sure comes in handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.