Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the .308 really that good? >

Is the .308 really that good?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the .308 really that good?

Old 03-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the .308 really that good?

Sounds like a fish story to me. Either your bullet or your marksmanship failed, take your pick. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between a 308 Win, 30-06 and a 7mm-08 so you can through that arguement out the window.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll second that, Frizz!
The .308 is as good as they get, assuming that your part has been done!
Old 03-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK Frizz - I knew I was gonna get some flak on this. But be that as it may, every animal I've shot with the .243, 7-08, 270, 06, or 300wm, dropped where it stood, except for one whitetailed buck with the .243 but another round put him down for good. I'm not saying I wouldn't have recovered those 2 animals I shot with the 308 but the fact remains that they happened to be the only 2 that ever got away from me in all my years. And as for marksmanship, that's a bunch of bull... The deer was shot with 150 gr Rem core locks squarely behind the front shoulder at a range of 50 yds. The bear was shot with 180 Nosler partitions at ranges from about 45 yds to 20 yds. Say what you might about the 308, just giving my opinion same as everyone else. And I'm saying its a lousy hunting cartridge.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer was shot with 150 gr Rem core locks
Well there is problem number one. CoreLockts are about the worst commercial bullet going. As for the Partitions, never had a problem with them.

every animal I've shot with the .243, 7-08, 270, 06, or 300wm, dropped where it stood, except for one whitetailed buck with the .243 but another round put him down for good.
Either you are very lucky, or you haven't shot many animals. No cartridge drops game where it stands every time.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 308 will kill deer and elk size game with ease. One year during a doe reduction season I shot 11 big mule deer does with 11 shots none of them took more than two steps. I have taken about 40 deer with the 308. Never shot any of them more than once. There is nothing I have seen that kills deer any better. Failure to kill a deer is in no way any fault of this caliber. The 308 shoots the same exact bullet as the 30-06. up to the 165 grain, 100 thru 165 grain it shoots them about the same velocity as the 30-06 if you can kkiill a deer with a 30-06 then you sure should be able to kill one with the 308. Also never had a problem with factory Remington shells loaded with the cor-lokt. I have never in all my years seen another hunter claim that the 308 is a poor killer of game. Take that for whats its worth. Quess there is always one.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never in all my years seen another hunter claim that the 308 is a poor killer of game.
Yeah, its a first for me also.[:-]
Old 03-08-2004, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Wish I could say all the deer I have shot have dropped where they stood.Would have saved me a lot of dragging over the years.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:03 AM

Bronco has the right to his opinion. We all rather quickly judge a rifle/cartridge as a real "getter" or a POS based on just a few instances initially. Then as the years unfold we go to the ones we think is best and further years of use continues to solidify our opinions. An ethical hunter will fairly quickly shun a rifle/cartridge that he has experienced "don't get it done". That is as it should be -- reasoning aside.

I've found the 308 to always be "easy" --- easy to sight in, easy to load up, easy to hit what I'm shooting at. I like it as a "warm up" cartridge at the range before we ease into the bigger stuff. That said it doesn't rank as one of my real "game killers" as other "favorites" beat it to the punch and now it can't push its way into the "line up".

I'm not surprised someone did not like it. Many of us have cartridges that we despise! For whatever reasons! Just part of the game. I doubt you'll change Bronco22000's mind by beating him up over it. My 308 don't make it to elk camp even as a "back up" rifle --- for me it just doesn't have the "right stuff", though it is easy and fun.

I believe the original post addressed accuracy. I do believe it easily has that.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer a 308 kfor deer and bear, I have a couple of them , lever and pump, I also have an 06 that sits in the closet and gets dusty. I am pleased to hear so much validation of the 308,,,,
Old 03-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I for one am not trying to beat anyone up. Just stating my expierence with it. I wore out three of them shooting steel silhouttes for ten years or a little more. Since I shot it 300 rounds a week or so I also used it for a lot of hunting as I loaded several hundred rounds a week for it anyway. I used mostly the 190 grain Hornady boat tails then I could use the SP for hunting and the hollow PT BT for steel targets. You are darn sure right about one thing, everyone is welcome to thier own opinion.

Quick Reply: Is the .308 really that good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.